Old 01-21-2007, 11:49 PM   #11
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Some yarns need a larger needle so they don't come out stiff. Or a looser pattern.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-22-2007, 08:58 AM   #12
Silver
Instepping Out

Sean, you're very welcome! You sound like you know what you're doing, especially since you have the piece there in front of you. And I would agree that if the fabric isn't feeling right, although it looks right, I wouldn't be happy with it either and wasting time and yarn on a less than satisfying project isn't good for anyone! Good luck with whatever you do with that yarn!

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:40 PM   #13
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
i did try a larger needle, that was actually part of my gauge tragedy at the beginning of the piece. gauge and i just don't get along well, i do a swatch, change needles if necessary, make sure everything is happy, and 8 inches into the sweater, it was 3 inches too wide. (sigh) that was the first rip.

kristin, thanks for the well wishes! i am REALLY loving this sweater i started with it and i am looking at it and thinking positive things about my knitting, which is a total bonus. the combined knitting has really changed my ribbing and made me a very happy boy. i can't seem to do continental or combined on double points yet for some reason, but i will get there!
i'm going to knit on it a bit before i have to start work and watch some Knitty Gritty!

thanks again!

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:01 PM   #14
suzeeq
Knit On!

If you prefer to use a certain yarn with larger needles, make a smaller size of the pattern.

sue
Old 01-22-2007, 05:30 PM   #15
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
omg, sue, i NEVER even considered that!!!! in other words, if on the larger needles, 3 inches too big, make the large instead of the XL? that is BRILLIANT! are there any other modifications necessary if you do that?

thanks!

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:09 AM   #16
suzeeq
Knit On!

Just fiugre out your sts/inch on the larger needles. Multiply that by the inches you want to have and check which size actually uses that number of sts or closest to it. Then follow the shaping instructions for that size, but maybe not the length. If it says knit from bottom edge to armhole for 14" and you need 16", do the 16".

sue