Old 01-31-2007, 04:07 PM   #1
lcbaer
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to lcbaer
the neverending sweater
Some more questions about this sweater i'm working on. Ok... here are the instructions i'm working on now. it's a lot to read through...

I'm having problems with the very last paragraph. There is a line that says, sew cast on edge of right placket to picked up sts of left placket. Therein lies the problem i am having. I never picked up sts... there aren't any instructions to pick up sts. I'm very confused... Any help would be much appreciated... then i'll be finished with my very first sweater and will post photos for all to see... and perhaps snicker at! i know i'll think it's funny

FINISHING
Right Placket and Collar: With smaller needles, cast on 14 sts.

Row 1 (RS): Sl 1, (p1, k1) 6 times, p1.

Row 2: * K1, p1, rep from * across. Rep these 2 rows until piece measures 4 from beg, end on WS. Mark end of last row for beg of collar.

Inc Row (RS): Work to last st, M1p, k1 15 sts. Inc 1 st 1 st in from same edge EVERY row 15 times more, working incs into ribbing 30 sts. Inc 1 st 1 st in from same edge every RS row 13 times 43 sts. Inc 1 st 1 st in from same edge every other RS row 5 times 48 sts. Work even in ribbing as established until collar, when slightly stretched, measures 9(9 1/2-10-10 1/2-11) above marker, end on WS. Mark beg and end of last row. Work even for 4 rows.

Note: Short rows are worked to give shaping to the collar. When working these rows you will work part way across a row, turn, sl 1, then work back to the beginning.

Short Rows: Row 1 (RS): Work 42 sts in ribbing, turn, sl 1, then work to end. Work 4 rows even.

Row 2 (RS): Work 38 sts in ribbing, turn, sl 1, then work to end. Work 4 rows even. Continue in this manner to alternate short rows and even rows, working 4 less sts each short row until short side of collar measures 5 1/2 above markers, end on WS. Sl 48 sts onto holder. Mark placement of 2 buttons on placket, one 1 up from cast-on edge and the other just below beg of collar.

Left Placket and Collar: With RS facing, sl 12 sts from front holder to smaller needles and join yarn.

Inc Row (WS): P1, M1k, (p1, k1) 5 times, M1p, k1 14 sts.

Row 1 (RS): (P1, k1) 6 times, p1, sl 1.

Row 2: * P1, k1, rep from * across. Rep these 2 rows until piece measures 1 from beg, end on WS.

Buttonhole Row: (P1, k1) 3 times, p1, yo, k2 tog, work to end. Continue to work in ribbing as established until piece measures 3 1/2 from beg, end on WS. Make 2nd buttonhole, then work even until piece measures 4 from beg, end on WS. Mark beg of last row for beg of collar.

Inc Row (RS): K1, M1p, work to end 15 sts. Inc 1 st 1 st in from same edge EVERY row 15 times more, working incs into ribbing 30 sts. Inc 1 st 1 st in from same edge every RS row 13 times 43 sts. Inc 1 st 1 st in from same edge every other RS row 5 times 48 sts. Work even until collar, when slightly stretched, measures 9(9 1/2-10-10 1/2-11) above marker, end on RS. Mark beg and end of last row. Work even for 4 rows.

Short Rows: Row 1 (WS): Work 42 sts in ribbing, turn, sl 1, work to end. Work 4 rows even.

Row 2 (WS): Work 38 sts in ribbing, turn, sl 1, work to end. Work 4 rows even. Continue in this manner to alternate short rows and even rows, working 4 less sts each short row until short edge of collar measures 5 1/2 above marker, end on WS. Sl 48 sts onto holder. Sew shoulder seams. Sew inner edge of left placket and collar to left front. Sew inner edge of right placket and collar to right front. Weave sts from holders tog at center back neck. Sew cast-on edge of right placket to picked-up sts of left placket. Sew on sleeves between markers. Sew side and sleeve seams. Sew 2 larger buttons to right placket. With crochet hook, make a chain 2 long. Fasten off. Sew ends of chain tog and then to center of last row of pocket detail on left front forming buttonloop. Repeat for right front. Sew smaller buttons under buttonloops

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-31-2007, 04:39 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Maybe you're supposed to pick them up now? As many as match the bind-off?

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:40 PM   #3
lcbaer
Ribbing the Cuff

hmm. It's confusing. i'm not sure where... here's the sweater:

http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/kyle/kyle.html

maybe that'll help.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:57 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

I believe that the instruction is having you attach the bottom of the left placket on top of the bottom edge of the right placket. It doesn't say to pick up stitches for it, but it could be implied. I don't really understand why they'd have you pick up stitches for it.

OR it could be referring to the 12 stitches that were originally on the holder when you started the left placket. That could very well be it.

If you're still confused, maybe writing to them would help?

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 01-31-2007, 05:05 PM   #5
lcbaer
Ribbing the Cuff

well that's what i thought at first. but earlier in the instructions is says to slip the 12 sts back on to the needles and start the left placket and collar. so the left placket and collar are attached to the front of the sweater and the right is on it's own and needs to be attached too. i suppose i could pick up stitchs behind the left placket/collar and attach the right placket there... but i'm worried it'll look freakish! oh well... i bought cheap yarn knowing this was my first sweater. if all doesn't work out i will not be at all upset. it's good experience. Thanks for the input!!
Old 01-31-2007, 05:11 PM   #6
Ingrid
Mod Squad

I was thinking that they were referring to the 12 that started the placket. I realized you used them to knit with, but maybe they're telling you to sew there. It really isn't very specific after all that work.

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 01-31-2007, 05:14 PM   #7
lcbaer
Ribbing the Cuff

I KNOW!!! this is the last steps of my first sweater!! well... i think i'm going to attach it where I want to attach it!! there will be many more sweaters to come...