Old 02-01-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
Anne
Knitting the Flap

knitting a scarf
A friend of mine ask me to knit her a scarf. It will be a plain knit stitch as that is all i can do at this time with my 2nd round of chemo started.

The thing is i cannot remember how many stitches to cast on. I thought 20-25 as that should make it wide enough.

I guess what i am asking is what have others cast on and what size needles to use. I am not a tight stitcher.

The yarn will be inexpensive so i have no worry if i make a mistake which i will and no worry about wasting good yarn.

Thank you in advance. anne.
Anne is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-01-2007, 05:10 PM   #2
landolphe
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to landolphe
Hi Anne,

The number of stitches for your CO is going to be determined by the weight of your yarn and the size of your needles. If you use an Extra Bulky yarn or run two Bulky weight yarns together, you will likely use US 35 needles. If so, you might have a gauge of 3 sts / inch. So, for a medium width scarf, a CO of 12 stitches would be fine.

Can give you a precise answer once you have chosen your yarn(s). You will find plenty of nice patterns here and here.

Landolphe

OTN: ribbon yarn wrap // small wall hanging - bulky three-ply handspun, lumpy-bumpy llama yarn, & 2 colors of handspun alpaca // Fibonacci scarf // scribble scarf // handspun llama wool & mohair ski hat
landolphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:55 PM   #3
Anne
Knitting the Flap

Thank you. I loved the sites you gave me. Found the perfect scarf there.
Anne is offline   Reply With Quote