Old 02-03-2007, 07:11 PM   #1
TerryJ
Casting On

HOW DO I WORK INCREASED STITCHES INTO RIBBING PATTERN????
Im an intermediate male knitter and am in the process of making something called a Kyle Shawl Collared Pullover ... the garment is all made..... Im at the stage now of making the collar part that seems to be made entirely of a ribbed pattern!

But my problem when it comes to start the 'increase' row, it says to slip the first stitch and increase on the purl stitch (which is the second stitch in) I then purl-knit-purl-knit across that row = turning to start the next row I eventually work my way back to the increase stitch I made on the previous row ....

Im now faced with 2 x purl stitches before me lol .... do I purl them both as set on the needle then knit the last Knit stitch or do I purl one and knit the other one then knitting the last stitch (then giving me the problem of having two knit stitches side by side) when I turn to start the third row (which it tells me to increase again the start of each row 15 more times etc)!

Im having great difficulty in keeping the established pattern (as the instructions call it lol)! My attempts at this so far looks irregular and crazy so I can see that Im obvioulsy doing something wrong..... I can cable and all those other intricate things which some would find difficult no problem, but for me its something as simple as this

Can anyone point me in the right direction of how to increase while working increases into the established pattern?

Sincerest blessings
Terry
TerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-03-2007, 07:19 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Since it says to slip that first stitch, and do the increase one stitch in, I think that you should always keep the outer stitches in knit. It will make for a more even edge. There will be times when you have 2 knits in a row at the end, but as you do your ribbing increases, you'll see that they kind of meld into the increased edge and look fine.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:31 PM   #3
TerryJ
Casting On

Thank You Ingrid
Hi there Ingrid, below is the pattern Im trying to follow - its just that Im not able to get the peice to look right at all, it looks irregular, messy and doesnt look like its suppose to at all ..... no one is able, so far on this site, to tell me how to knit each particular stitch in sequence....

Right Placket and Collar:
With smaller needles, cast on 14 sts.
Row 1 (RS): Sl 1, (p1, k1) p1.
Row 2: * K1, p1, rep from * across. Rep these 2 rows until piece measures 4 from beg, end on WS. Mark end of last row for beg of collar.
Inc Row (RS): Work to last st, M1p, k1 making 15 sts.
Inc 1 st 1 st in from same edge EVERY row 15 times more, working incs into ribbing now making 30 sts.
Inc 1 st 1 st in from same edge every RS row 13 times now making 43 sts.
Inc 1 st 1 st in from same edge every other RS row 5 times now making 48 sts.
Work even in ribbing as established
TerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:48 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Right Placket and Collar:
With smaller needles, cast on 14 sts.
Row 1 (RS): Sl 1, (p1, k1) p1.
Row 2: * K1, p1, rep from * across. Rep these 2 rows until piece measures 4 from beg, end on WS. Mark end of last row for beg of collar.
Inc Row (RS): Work to last st, M1p, k1 making 15 sts.
Inc 1 st 1 st in from same edge EVERY row 15 times more, working incs into ribbing now making 30 sts.
Inc 1 st 1 st in from same edge every RS row 13 times now making 43 sts.
Inc 1 st 1 st in from same edge every other RS row 5 times now making 48 sts.
Work even in ribbing as established

Row 1 skpkpkpkpkpkpk
Row 2 kpkpkpkpkpkpkp until 4 inches

Row 3 skpkpkpkpkpkp,I,k 15
Row 4 s,I,pkpkpkpkpkpkpk 16
Row 5 skpkpkpkpkpkpkp,I,k 17
Row 6 s,I,pkpkpkpkpkpkpkpk 18 etc.

Since you have to increase at the same edge each time, you do it before the last stitch on the odd rows and after the first stitch on the even rows.

When you get to the point where you ahve to increase every other rows, you'll only do it at the end of the right side rows.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote