Old 02-03-2007, 04:44 AM   #1
gail n
Casting On

decreasing for sleeve shaping
I am knitting a sweater which started in the round for the bottom of the sweater and now has been separated and I am knitting the front and back separately. For the sleeve shaping the pattern says to decrease x stitches x times every other row. How do I decrease, do I bind off decrease using the sloped bind off from this site or do I do one of the decreases shown on this site at the beginning and ending of the knit row because I am doing stockinette stitch right now. If I do a decrease, which one is best?
Thanks for the help.
gail n is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-03-2007, 04:58 AM   #2
five_six
Turning the Heel

well, from what i can surmise, you aren't doing the sleeve caps yet, where they join onto the garment, as you wouldn't be decreasing every other row you would be decreasing at the start of every row, normally, so that you would have an even decrease on both sides of the sleeve. If you were up to this stage, then I would say do a bind off.

Considering I think you are before this (it's a bit hard to tell without seeing your pattern), I would use a k2tog.

If a little dreaming is dangerous, then the cure is not to dream less, but to dream more... to dream all the time! - Proust

currently recruiting for the war i am waging on time, there will be many casualties, but we will be victorious
five_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 02:27 AM   #3
gail n
Casting On

oops, I guess I did not explain myself very well, but I think you have helped anyway.
I am knitting the body of the sweater right now and am decreasing for the armholes.
The pattern is garnstudios, 96-6, it has a snowflake on the front.

http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/dr...php?type=drops

is the webpage with the catalogues on it, and it is in #96.

thanks for responding.
Gail
Old 02-04-2007, 07:53 AM   #4
five_six
Turning the Heel

aahhh... i see my mistake.

That's a nice sweater!

Armhole: At the same time, when piece measures 36-37-38-38-40 cm dec for armhole each side on every other row: 3 sts 1 time, 2 sts 1-2-3-5-6 times and 1 st 2-2-3-3-4 times = 59-61-61-63-65 sts.

This bit? I would do it as BO's, personally, some might disagree, but I wouldn't do the each side bit myself though, in order to achieve this, cause you can't bind off at the end of a row, so I would be binding off 3 stitches, then turning and BO the other 3 to match, that I would have decreased by knitting them together on the row prior, if you get me, so I would be doing the bind off every row not decreasing every other row.

I hope I haven't confused you too much

If a little dreaming is dangerous, then the cure is not to dream less, but to dream more... to dream all the time! - Proust

currently recruiting for the war i am waging on time, there will be many casualties, but we will be victorious
five_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:44 AM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yes, for the 2 and 3 st decreases, do BOs at the beginning of the rows. For the 1 st decs, you can use ssk/k2tog at each end of the RS rows.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 04:24 PM   #6
gail n
Casting On

thanks for the replies, I have been doing them as bind offs at the beginning of the knit and then the purl rows, but started reading this website and then got confused and wondering if I should have been doing something different.
When do you use the decrease stitches, in what kind of instances? just for curiosity?
thanks
Old 02-04-2007, 11:39 PM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You would use a regular decrease when you only need to decrease 1 stitch, although there are some patterns that call for k3tog or sl 1, k2 tog, psso that dec 2 stitches. Use a BO at the beginning of a row that when the decreases are 2 or more stitches.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote