Old 02-06-2007, 10:48 PM   #1
pp2553
Casting On

Invisible Cast on - half-hitch cast on???
I am starting a purse and the directions say to cast on using an invisible or half-hitch cast on--I saw the directions on the instructions for invisible but did not see the instructions for half-hitch--are they the same and what is the purpose. Thanks Patty
pp2553 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-06-2007, 10:56 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
I've always thought that half-hitch was the same as backward loop. I don't know how invisible it is, but it doesn't create a stitch the way other cast-ons do.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:00 PM   #3
MrsDavis3
Knitting the Flap

I can answer part of your question, I think.

Invisible (AKA provisional) cast-on is used when you are going to need to free up the stitches of the cast-on row. I know it from the Moebius scarf pattern. You can free up the cast-on row back easily to weave, or put them on a needle and knit in the opposite direction from the original body.

I know how to make a half-hitch on a rope, but I've never heard the term used in knitting. I'll be watching this thread to find out.

"One can never have enough socks."
A. Dumbledore, Book One, Chapter 12
MrsDavis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:03 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
If it is a provisional cast-on, somewhere down the line the pattern will tell you to remove it and put those stitches back on the needle. That will help narrow it down.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:54 PM   #5
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Although "invisible" could refer a provisional c/o, I think that in this case, they're probably asking for tubular (aka kitchener c/o). I say this because a provisional c/o would not really be interchangeable with half hitch. Caveat: if you're not starting out with single rib, then it's probably not tubular. If you are, then I'm almost positive that you want tubular.

Half hitch can refer to either backward loop (aka single) or long tail (aka double) c/o depending on the source.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote