Old 02-21-2007, 12:00 PM   #1
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,909 Posts
Oddball Blanket #1 is Complete!
I have an idea for a charity project, and would like to see if anyone is interested in participating.

I am interested in making an "oddball blanket", where we each knit a few rows, then mail it to the next person, and it continues around the list. Then, when it's finished, we can give it to charity.

We would cast on about 300 stitches to start, then knit every row until it's a big rectangle. We could use any washable worsted weight yarn we have in our stash. The only thing we would be paying for is the postage to mail it to the next person.

It could be mailed to me at the end, and I would weave in all the ends and add a border. I would present it to charity, along with photos and stories of all of us that were involved in making it.

What do you think?

Last edited by Shandeh : 10-26-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shandeh For This Useful Post:
lissalue (06-13-2007)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-21-2007, 01:47 PM   #2
jhelanee
Turning the Heel

Sounds like fun to me!

With something that big I think it would make the most sense to just leave a dedicated needle in it. What do you think? :thinking:

Recently finished: DH's small-gauge sweater; Secret of the Stole ii - "Savannah"; BSJ (well the knitting anyway)
On Needles: socks; Odessa (from Magknits)

jhelanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 02:46 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,779 Times in 7,145 Posts
That does sound like fun!

I guess a dedicated needle would provide consistency, whereas slightly different sizes could produce some interesting texture and waviness..depends on what you want the outcome to be.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:31 PM   #4
Jillle
Turning the Heel

It could be like a Flat Stanley, where you have a picture or story about each place it visits!

Wow, I actually finished something!
  • Fauxhawk from Pretty In Punk
  • Dreamswatch with KH Yarn
Up Next:
  • Clap with Briar Rose!
Jillle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:19 PM   #5
newamy
Working the Gusset

It sounds fun and if you get it going I'd be happy to contribute a few rows- But would it all be garter stitch? Or could a few people throw in a basket weave section, or slip stitches, or Feather and fan, or cables?? That would be interesting.... But I think the same needle should be used through out.

The one draw back to this is that the postage will increase as it's passed along so it could be expensive for those at the end of the line to participate. Also do you want it to be a washable blanket?? That really depends on the charity. In the US they want washable usually but foreign countries like afghans for Afghans want natural fibers.

Maybe you should make a poll for what charity...

I'm newamy on
newamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:11 PM   #6
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

I'm glad you are all interested. I think a dedicated needle is the way to go. I can start the blanket with an inexpensive circular needle that is easy to use and light for mailing. We can use any stitch we want, and knit as little as 2 rows, or as many as 20 rows, depending on how much yarn and time we have available.

When it comes back to me, I'll add rows the same color as the beginning to give it a sense of closure, then I'll put a simple border all around.

Postage shouldn't be too bad, and I think we would be willing to help each other out in that category if it's necessary. Just let me know if you're on a tight budget, and I'll put your name at the top of the list so your postage will be the lowest of the group.

Newamy, I think we could stick with washable yarn for this blanket. Then we can make a natural fiber blanket after we finish this one, for another charity project. I'm all for making LOTS of charity blankets.

We could go ahead and get started on this one now, and then decide which charity it will go to. We'll have PLENTY of time to make our decision.

Do any of you disagree with this plan?

Last edited by Jan in CA : 06-13-2007 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:22 PM   #7
lissalue
Instepping Out

i would love to do this!

lissalue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:38 PM   #8
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Cool Melissa! If more Charlotte knitters want to help, we can work on it over the next few weeks, then I'll mail it out to the next person in line.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:16 PM   #9
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,779 Times in 7,145 Posts
I'm in!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:15 AM   #10
newamy
Working the Gusset

Yep, I'm in too.

The other fun thing is that we don't get to meet or see each other in person, but we can see each other's knitting.

I'm newamy on
newamy is offline   Reply With Quote