Old 03-05-2007, 09:35 AM   #1
candy
Turning the Heel

changing sleeve help
HI, so I am making another sweater that calls for flats. I am changing the body to circ. I was wondering if it is worth changing the sleeves to circ too because from what I understand once I get to the shaping I have to put it on flats. Does this not stretch the yarn too much when making the transition and then show afterwards? Is it just better to do them on flats and then there will be no stretching out?
candy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-05-2007, 09:43 AM   #2
five_six
Turning the Heel

hmmm... I'm not really sure here, but to my mind, even if you started knitting flat, you would still knit on your circs (just turning at the end of round, instead of continuing on) which are quite flexible, no, and not changing to actual straight needles, which would, yes, stretch your knitting out.

If a little dreaming is dangerous, then the cure is not to dream less, but to dream more... to dream all the time! - Proust

currently recruiting for the war i am waging on time, there will be many casualties, but we will be victorious
five_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:58 PM   #3
candy
Turning the Heel

sleeves
I guess I was not clear. I meant I would knit in the round up to the shaping in which case I would have to knit straight. So when I switch from round to straight does that not really stretch out your sleeve?
Old 03-05-2007, 01:05 PM   #4
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

I agree with Dee. Once you finish the sleeve in the round, up to the armhole area where you have to switch to knitting flat, you do not have to switch to using traditional straight needles. You can (and should) use a circular needle for the knitting flat portion, turning your work after each row rather than joining in the round, and you will not have a problem with your work being stretched out. Using the circular needle allows the sleeve to maintain that 'tubular' type quality, while still knitting flat.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:08 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Another trick in switching to knitting flat after knitting in the round is to pinch the cord on the circular and pull through the stitches like a Magic loop until you have a few rows knitted flat. That keeps the stitches from stretching so much.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:16 PM   #6
candy
Turning the Heel

sleeves
Ok, I don't know why I thought I had to switch needles. So just start turning the work, that is so simple. Thank you