Old 03-06-2007, 05:34 PM   #1
anouck
Casting On

Can I BO at both ends of a row?
Hi, I'm new to knitting, and this forum. (I've been lurking, however, and have used knittinghelp quite a bit in teaching myself how to knit)

I'm working on my first sweater, using this pattern: http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/kyra/kyra.html

My question concerns this part, from the Left Front Section:
Quote:
Shape Armhole: Dec Row (RS): K4, k3 tog, k to end 48(49-53-57-61-65) sts. Rep this dec every other RS row 3 times more. AT THE SAME TIME, when armhole measures 1(1 1/2-1 1/2-2-2-2 1/2), end on RS.

Shape Neck: Bind off 10 sts, p to end. Continuing to work armhole decs if necessary, bind off 5 sts at neck edge once, 4 sts once, 3 sts twice, 2 sts 3 times, then dec 1 st at neck edge every RS row 4 times 7(8-12-16-20-24) sts.
The part I don't understand is this: I start binding off on a WS row - I have to continue to do the armhole decreases for two more RS rows after I've started the neck shaping - when it says "bind off 5 sts at the neck edge once, 4 sts once..." do I do that only on WS rows, or can I bind of sts at the end of RS row?

Thanks!
anouck is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-06-2007, 05:40 PM   #2
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
So you're still doing arm shaping while beginning the neck shaping? You'll be binding off at the beginning of rows on both the WS and RS.
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:44 PM   #3
anouck
Casting On

Well, it's a cardigan, so the left front piece only has neck shaping on one edge of the piece. The schematic is here: http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/kyra/kyra_sch.html

If I'm still working my armhole decreases at the beginning of my RS rows, I can't BO at the beginning of both my WS and RS rows - but can I BO at the end of my RS rows?
anouck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:55 PM   #4
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
You can't bind off at the end because you'll have a loop left, a big gap and no where to go. All your bindoffs on this kind of thing need to be a the beginning of a row...not necessarily WS or RS depending on pattern.
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote