Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-08-2007, 02:10 PM   #1
RuthK
Ribbing the Cuff

Gauge question when substituting yarn
I'm planning to knit the Cozy shawl from Knitty and just bought some soysilk at my LYS. It wasn't what I was planning to use, but then I fell in love with it. Now I wonder if I've made a big mistake...

The gauge from the pattern's yarn (Reynolds Mandalay, 100% silk) is 4.5 st/in, 5 rows/in on size 8 needles. The soysilk gauge is 5 st/in, 8 rows/in on size 6 needles. I tried the pattern with size 7 needles instead, but I think it's too loose, so I'm going to do it with 6's.

My question is, if the original pattern called for about 800 yds of yarn, how much do I need to get about the same size shawl? The stitch gauge is close to the same in stockinette - does this mean it should be about the same in the lace pattern? (Probably a very stupid question, but I've never done anything with lace before.) Should I be comparing weights instead of yardage? Am I going to need to spend my entire salary on yarn to make this?

What have I done?
RuthK is offline   Reply With Quote