Old 03-12-2007, 07:14 PM   #1
vrousseau
Casting On

Double knitting project -- Heart Double knit hot pad
I'm trying to work on the double knit hot pad on size 4 knitting needles, but even though I think I've got the first two rows done correctly, I get stuck trying to figure out from the grid how I should proceed. Also, I realized that for Row 2, where it says at the end "repeat from * to the last two sts, with both colors in back k1 R, with both colors in front p1 W, p last st with both colors." I'm left with not enough stitches to purl the last st with both colors; shouldn't Row 2 end with "repeat from * to the last three sts, with both colors in back k1 R, with both colors in front p1 W, p last st with both colors? Please tell me what I might be doing wrong.
vrousseau is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-13-2007, 12:10 PM   #2
of troy
Turning the Heel

i know how to double knit.. but i don't understand your question.

can you give a link to an image? or a link to a url (directions or image or both?

most double knit charts only show one side and in order to have a 2 sided design, you work the pattern chart (k X with white (and unstated/unshow, but implied, P an equal number of X with CC) then KXX with CC (and again unstated, PXX with white. )

this results in a positive pattern on side A (a white square with a big red heart) and a 'negative pattern on side B (a red square with a big white heart)
Old 03-13-2007, 12:36 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Originally Posted by of troy

can you give a link to an image? or a link to a url (directions or image or both?
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting...dk-hot-pad.php

I haven't done it so I'm not sure. It says the CD has the entire project on it btw.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:00 PM   #4
vrousseau
Casting On

These are the directions basically:

"Instructions:

R=red W=white

Cast on as described above, so you have 60 strands/stitches to work on the next row.

Row 1: sl first st, *with both colors in back k1 W, with both colors in the front p1 R, repeat from * across to last st, with both colors to the front p last st with both colors.
Row 2: sl first st, with both colors in back k1 R, with both colors in front p1 W, *with both colors in back k1 W, with both colors in front p1 R, repeat from * to the last two sts, with both colors in back k1 R, with both colors in front p1 W, p last st with both colors.(It's this row I found the "error" with. I followed the directions with both rows, but got stuck prior to beginning the third row. How exactly am I supposed to read the chart?

Each square on the chart represents two sts, one facing you to k in the color shown and one not shown to be p in the color not shown.

When the chart is completed use the smaller needle and bind off in alternate colors; k the k sts and p the p sts in the colors they were worked on the previous row. When you get to the last 3 sts, k across these sts in one color (either, it doesn't matter which) and work as an I-cord.* I worked in alternate colors but it could be done in one color. Work for about 20 rows and then sew the end down to the beginning of the I-cord for a loop to hang your hot pad.

*I-cord instructions (video above): On double point needles, k 3, do not turn the needle but slide the sts to the right end of the needle they are on, pull the yarn across the back tightly and knit the sts. Repeat this for the length desired."
Old 04-05-2007, 07:06 PM   #5
vrousseau
Casting On

Originally Posted by Jan in CA
Originally Posted by of troy

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting...dk-hot-pad.php

I haven't done it so I'm not sure. It says the CD has the entire project on it btw.
I got the cd, and it does have more of the project than on the site, but not the section I need to check. On row two it says to knit from the * to the last two stitches, but I'm not left with enough stitches to end the row according to the instructions (see cd video and instructions) I finally got the colors I need for the project, and I'm just going to try to do the best I can with it. I'm too frustrated with it to worry about whether it comes out correctly or not.