Old 03-15-2007, 12:49 AM   #1
Janet
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
sock patterns on a circular needle anyone?
I am very new to knitting and would like to know if I can knit socks on a circular needle. Can I use 3 ply baby yarn ?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-15-2007, 12:56 AM   #2
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Welcome!

Yes, you can knit socks using circular needles, but not in the traditional sense. You can use one long circular (40" is ideal, in my opinion) for the method called magic loop, OR you can use 2 circular needles at once to knit small diameters such a socks. Videos for both methods are found near the top of this page.

As for yarn, you can use any yarn really, as long as you have an appropriate pattern for the weight of yarn you are using and as long as you can get the right gauge for the pattern. A GREAT book for sock knitting is Sensational Knitted Socks. It covers all of the basics as well as oodles of patterns ranging from easy to advanced.

Good luck!! xxx
Old 03-15-2007, 01:06 AM   #3
redwitch
Working the Gusset

You can buy tiny circulars but the consensus seems to be that they are awkward to knit with and stretch the stitches.
There are three main methods for knitting small diameters in the round: on double-pointed needles, on one long circular needle (Magic Loop), or on two circular needles.
I think the videos page on this forum has videos of these techniques. For further tutorials, use Google to search terms like 'how Magic Loop' or 'socks on two circulars tutorial' etc. Some pages will explain the basic concept, others will take you step-by-step through everything including each step of casting on... etc. Try Silver's sock tutorial for a thorough explanation of the 2-circs method (I think).

I recommend you do a practice sock - this could be on thick wool and needles, and sized to fit a child, and never have a mate made for it - but you will start to understand and get used to knitting in the round, and basic sock construction.

There are two basic ways to do a sock heel: a heel flap, and short rows. If you do a practice sock, make sure the heel is of the same type! Also, socks can be knitted from the toe up, or cuff-down, that should be the same too.

Basic guidelines for just about everything can be found online by Googling.

Remember that socks are considered by many knitters to be very advanced, so I recommend that you make sure you are familiar with the stitch pattern, like knits, purls, YOs, ssk, k2tog. stitches before you try it. I think they can be a beginner project but may be difficult for an absolute novice.

Very basic plain socks look great when knitted in self-striping wool!

My second pair of socks were Baudelaire from the online magazine Knitty, have a look how scary they look - but mine are turning out perfect! Good luck.

Sarah
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redwitch For This Useful Post:
artsy1 (06-27-2013), justplaincharlotte (06-23-2013)
Old 03-15-2007, 10:02 AM   #4
Ariane100
Ribbing the Cuff

My second project was a pair of children's socks on Magic Loop. I didn't think it was hard, just follow the instructions! I had Knitting for Dummies as a reference and I don't know if I even used it. I say go for it, I don't know why people say socks are hard.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:26 AM   #5
Holly
Knitting the Flap

The book "Sensational Knitted Socks" has a sock tutorial in the front that I found very helpful.
Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:40 AM   #6
Jax3303
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Jax3303
you have a few options when it comes to using circular needles for a sock. There's the Magic Loop technique, as well as 2 circ technique, but there are 3 more options that I know of. Clover makes a 8" circ, but they're becomming more and mroe difficult to find. From what I've read, they're just too akward because of how short they are. There are also 11" stretchy circulars for sock knitting. http://www.stretchycirculars.com/index.html , and you can also use a 12" circ. the 12" circ can be difficult to get your stitches around for the first few rows, but it works fine for the rest of your sock. using any of these last 3, you will either need another circ or dpn's for closing the toe.

My Blog

Jax3303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:52 AM   #7
KathyinCali
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Jax3303
you have a few options when it comes to using circular needles for a sock. There's the Magic Loop technique, as well as 2 circ technique, but there are 3 more options that I know of. Clover makes a 8" circ, but they're becomming more and mroe difficult to find. From what I've read, they're just too akward because of how short they are. There are also 11" stretchy circulars for sock knitting. http://www.stretchycirculars.com/index.html , and you can also use a 12" circ. the 12" circ can be difficult to get your stitches around for the first few rows, but it works fine for the rest of your sock. using any of these last 3, you will either need another circ or dpn's for closing the toe.
Have you ever used the stretchy circulars? If so, what did you think of it?

Thanks.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away".

OTN-
Blanket Sweater and Sweaters for My Li'l Lucy!
KathyinCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:00 PM   #8
samm
Turning the Heel

I'm knitting socks for my brother on a 12" addi turbo circ right now. I'm using a fine dk wool blend, and it's working great! I have a 3.5mm and a 4mm that length. I quite like them, but it takes a little bit of getting used to the way your hands have to be held. Not difficult, though, and comfortable once you get it right. :o) samm
samm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:36 PM   #9
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
I really like knitting socks on one circ using ML. For me it seems so much easier than DPNs.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
katieknits
Casting On

Originally Posted by samm View Post
I'm knitting socks for my brother on a 12" addi turbo circ right now. I'm using a fine dk wool blend, and it's working great! I have a 3.5mm and a 4mm that length. I quite like them, but it takes a little bit of getting used to the way your hands have to be held. Not difficult, though, and comfortable once you get it right. :o) samm
Hi, I just purchased 12" circular needle but I ordered US 1, 2.5mm

I didn't realize that Addi did not go by standard US sizes in their smaller needles.

I love the needles but for finger weight yarn their to big. I'm a loose knitter. I know I could double yarn but I don't like doing that.
Do you think if I tried a sport weight if that might work? I don't have any to test myself right at the moment.
I did try worsted weight and as I'm a loose knitter I was able to do this with ribbing but stockinette was uncomfortable.

I figure ideally for finger weight I would use a size 0?
Worsted weight a size 3 or 4?

I wish I could try them at some LYS but the ones I've called don't sell them and would order them for me but only with definite sizes.

If you can help me, I would appreciate it. Thanks
katieknits is offline   Reply With Quote