Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2007, 06:24 AM   #1
Casting On
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: South Australia
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Altering a pattern, how to? & what's that stitch called?
Hi all,

I'm a relative beginner working on a pair of longies. The pattern tapers in the bottom of the leg & has a ribbing cuff. How do I go about altering the bottom to make them slightly flared with a flat, straight bottom edge - what's that stitch called - so it doesn't get folded up or go all curly. I'm just past the knee on the first leg, knitting on straight needles (not in the round).

Hope someone can help.

Fishchick is offline   Reply With Quote


This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-05-2007, 08:08 AM   #2
Ribbing the Cuff
Idyll's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 55
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via ICQ to Idyll Send a message via MSN to Idyll
Hi Fishie,

For a flared cuff, I'd suggest just increase the number of stitches gradually over the last few rows. If you use the same needle size in rib stitch, the rib stitches will appear bigger than stocking stitch (if that's what you're using). I think the stitch you're thinking of is the "bind-off edge" - there's a few methods detailed here on this website!
Idyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:09 AM   #3
Mod Squad
Ingrid's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pleasant Valley, NY
Posts: 29,585
Thanks: 21
Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,845 Posts
You could also do a garter or seed stitch edge to prevent curling, or a hem.

Purl a row at the length you want it to be and then knit a hem in stockinette.
"Trust the pattern!"

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is This Stitch Called? Arielluria Crochet! 2 02-12-2010 04:44 PM
What is this stitch called? chan58 How-to Questions 10 10-17-2007 07:22 PM
Help altering pattern Wendyl How-to Questions 5 08-11-2007 12:12 AM
Help altering pattern... Cristy General Knitting 4 02-07-2007 11:24 PM
A stitch called B Momico1 How-to Questions 2 10-12-2006 12:55 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:26 PM.