Old 04-06-2007, 11:07 PM   #1
redwitch
Working the Gusset

Corrugated ribbing tension
Hi all

I'm doing the gorgeous Anemoi Mittens by Eunny. I have started the corrugated ribbing on them and OH MY GOD I had no idea corrugated ribbing was this tedious and tricky! My tension on the mitts was quite good, but for the ribbing it has to be so loose - and slow, my God, the CC purl is killing me slowly.
When the ribbing is relaxed and allowed to pull in, the purls become very loose: they have to be, or the cuff won't stretch to fit over the hand. But this means they kind of sag or puff when the ribbing is relaxed (at least so far): the floats are positively huge!
Any tips please? On making the coloured purls look as good as they do in Eunny's photo (is this just a matter of great tension, or some blocking trick?) or on making the ribbing faster/easier? I knit Continental normally, both hands for stranded colourwork, main colour in the left (3 stitches) and contrast in the right (1 purl) for this corrugated ribbing. It's quite clumsy.
Thanks

Sarah
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-07-2007, 04:53 PM   #2
Braden
Instepping Out

Practice! The first few times you do Corrugated Ribbing, it is H***! On my first 3 fair isle sweaters I almost unravelled them and didn't do it because of the rib.

CONGRATULATIONS TO AMY AND SHELDON ON THE BIRTH OF THEIR DAUGHTER!

BradenCS on Ravelry
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 01:32 PM   #3
MrsJSD
Ribbing the Cuff

struggling
Recently, after seeing a beautiful example of corrugated ribbing, I couldn't wait to try it myself. From my stash I pulled out some Shetland spindrift in a moss green heather and a pale yellow and got started on a swatch. I felt impaired in some basic neurological way! The idea is quite simple, it's surprising that the doing of it is not, at least for me. I found I had trouble with tension, yes, but also with the placement of the yarn to carry over. I'm still not quite comfortable enough to start a project.

Currently knitting a Weasley sweater in Rowan Felted Tweed for a nephew, the pullover "Erica" in Noro Cash Iroha, and E.Zimm's "Pie are Square" shawl in possum laceweight.
MrsJSD is offline   Reply With Quote