Old 04-17-2007, 01:31 PM   #21
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Originally Posted by Shandeh
Originally Posted by Jan in CA
Is the hole at the top of the gusset? Maybe it's where you slipped the first stitch? I wonder if you knit that first one normally then slipped the rest it would be tighter at that point.. :thinking:
You know, Jan....I think that it's the slipped stitch at the start of the row when I'm working on the heel. You know, the part where you go back and forth on the heel? I think I'm just going to do a purl or knit for that first stitch from now on. Maybe that will fix my one hole problem.
Yep, that's the one I meant..the first slipped stitch on the heel flap.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-17-2007, 05:41 PM   #22
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Shandeh. That sounds like a good plan actually to either knit or purl as it's probably the slip that's creating the hole because of the lack of tension - but what is the 'sip' supposed to achieve there in the pattern? Like, if you don't slip can you see it altering anything BUT the tension?
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:33 PM   #23
hydeemarie
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to hydeemarie Send a message via Yahoo to hydeemarie
Ok, so I had that problem, too! Then, I learned that you should pick up one or two extra stitches and decrease them in the decreasing rounds. This solves the problem of holes in the corner. When you knit socks, do you tend to get holes along the rest of the gusset where you have picked up stitches? Well i do, and i learned from DIY that you should knit the stitches that you have picked up through the back of the loop the round after you picked them up. This twists them and makes them tighter!! Hope this information helps!!
(coming soon) Fair Isle Scarf

OTH:
Lapghan
Hats
Scarves
hydeemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:30 PM   #24
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

hydeemarie..where do you actually pick up the stitches from? (sock novice here)
Old 04-17-2007, 08:57 PM   #25
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,907 Posts
Originally Posted by hydeemarie
Ok, so I had that problem, too! Then, I learned that you should pick up one or two extra stitches and decrease them in the decreasing rounds. This solves the problem of holes in the corner. When you knit socks, do you tend to get holes along the rest of the gusset where you have picked up stitches? Well i do, and i learned from DIY that you should knit the stitches that you have picked up through the back of the loop the round after you picked them up. This twists them and makes them tighter!! Hope this information helps!!
I already use both of those tricks, but I STILL end up with that ONE hole on the left side. Just one hole.....no other problems with the gussets.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:02 PM   #26
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

The slipped stitches make it easier to pick up stitches for the gusset.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 04-17-2007, 11:15 PM   #27
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Thanks Jan..so..you think it a matter more of tightening and perhaps using a small needle for a few stitches?
Old 04-18-2007, 02:09 AM   #28
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Originally Posted by Susan P.
Thanks Jan..so..you think it a matter more of tightening and perhaps using a small needle for a few stitches?
I'm no socks expert, but I think if you just did a regular knit stitch on that row it might make it work better.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~