Old 04-23-2007, 06:20 PM   #1
NakedPancakes
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to NakedPancakes Send a message via MSN to NakedPancakes
[OT] Online High School Classes?
Anyone taking any?
I am in the 9th grade and I need 3 years of a foreign language to graduate. I've not taken one this year, so I'll need one the next three years. 2 semesters each year.
Thing is, I want to take Japanese and I've only found one online high school that offers Japanese. It's only 2 years though, and it's 600 dollars for one credit.

That's too much, and I can't find anywhere else.

I desperately need help...
NakedPancakes is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-23-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
lostchyld
Ribbing the Cuff

What languages does your school offer?? Wouldn't it be easier and more cost effective to take a language offered where you're at than to attempt a correspondence course?? Once you know two languages, in my experience and observation, a third is relatively easy to pick up.

My sister took a high school level course through BYU, although that was geography. Perhaps they have what you're looking for. I don't know what the pricing on that was, though. Probably still expensive, unfortunately. That's a fact of education.

Good luck.

-Caet
Old 04-23-2007, 06:47 PM   #3
NakedPancakes
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to NakedPancakes Send a message via MSN to NakedPancakes
The only language my school offers is Spanish.

What is BYU? I could take it at a college, but unfortunately I'm not old enough. I wouldn't be old enough until next school year. But I need 3 years of language.
NakedPancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:54 PM   #4
lostchyld
Ribbing the Cuff

BYU is Brigham Young University. There are quite a few colleges that offer high school level courses, so that might be something to look for.

BYU: Independent Study HS catalog This is what I know about for sure. I also know there are others, but I don't know where.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:34 PM   #5
HamaLee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to HamaLee
I don't know where you're located, but definitely check nearby colleges, univeristy, community colleges and various online distance learning programs (make sure they're through legit, accredited universities!). They often have special classes/programs/accelerated learner situations where high school students can take classes for credit. (And sometimes those credits can be applied to your college degree later on).

If nothing like that exists as of yet, don't give in. Talk to your high school guidance counselors and administrators and contact the college/community college administrators as well. If you are persistent I'm sure they will be able to arrange something to suit your needs. It may take more time and effort on your part, but if you persist a high school should (and most often will) support students who go above and beyond to enhance their education. It will be up to you to be proactive and to stand up for your educational rights, needs and desires.

Like I said, I don't know where you're located, but I think it's totally bogus for your school to require 3 years of a foreign language and then only offer one! Eesh...how about a few options on the menu people!

Also...you may consider taking Spanish at your school (for convenience) and pursuing Japanese as an Independent Study or extra activity. Definitely don't give up on it just cuz it's not available--you'd be doing a disservice to yourself. The more languages the better! You'll be at an advantage when you apply to colleges, jobs, etc if you are fluent/conversational in more than other language. And Japanese will prove to be quite useful in the business and technology world.

Good luck. Keep us posted!

--->Clever Sayings Go Here<---

HamaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:39 PM   #6
letah75
Working the Gusset

Also talk to your counselor. I know in our area 3 credits at the local JC count as 10 high school credits. So even if you couldn't take a college Japanese class this year you might only have to take two or three semesters of a college level foreign language as opposed to 6 semesters at the high school level.

You might be able to work it out so you could put off the language if you agree to take the college stuff next year.

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson
letah75 is offline   Reply With Quote