Old 05-04-2007, 08:51 AM   #1
dplantlady
Knitting the Flap

Dyeing Plant-based Yarn
Hi all,

Has anyone here ever done this? I bought some 100% bamboo yarn in a lovely dark blue and plain white last year and I'd like to try to dye one of the white skeins to a variegated to work a pattern that calls for 3 different yarn colors.

If you could direct me to any good websites or directions, I'd really appreciate it!

Diane

Recently Finished Projects: 2 felted mobius cat baskets, MANY Lace Washcloths, The Magic Scarf from HELL, 6 Knitted Lace XMas Balls in crochet thread, Lace XMas Ball in mohair, 4 Initialed Washcloths, 2 Lacy Soap Socks (1 knit, 1 crochet), 2 Seamless Rectangle Snuggles (one outside in, one inside out), XMas Tree Illusion Snuggle, 3 scarves for presents, Fisherman Knit Snuggle, Turkish Stitch String Bag, Wheelie Steering Wheel Cover, Moebius Cat Basket, 9 Snuggles, Preemie Hats, Sandy's (Felted) Cat Basket
dplantlady is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-04-2007, 09:51 AM   #2
Julie
Instepping Out

I think that bamboo would need to be dyed with fiber reactive dyes, like other plant fibers. Info here:

http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/fiberreactive.shtml

I can tell you for sure that acid dyes don't work...I know that from experience :D
Old 05-04-2007, 01:58 PM   #3
jeanius80
Instepping Out

would tie-dye dye work? it is generaly used for cotton t-shirts, so i would *think* it would work. youcould check a local craft store if you dont want to buy online.
jeanius80 is offline   Reply With Quote