Old 05-19-2007, 06:12 PM   #1
nancydee
Ribbing the Cuff

provisional cast on
I am begininng a simple scarf pattern (triangular shape) with a provisional cast on using crochet hook and waste yarn. When the scarf is done, I am to cast off, and then I am to remove the waste yarn and put remaining loops onto needle to complete the lace type edging on the scarf. I have never done a knitted provisional cast on and wondered if anyone knows if there would be a difference in the results -- of either method. I tried it (the crochet type provisional cast on) on a sample swatch and found it difficult to remove the waste yarn. I thought it would be simple to pull the auxillary yarn out and continue. Is that how it is with a knitted provisional cast on as well? Or maybe I am not getting it?? I watched the KH video but I didn't see the process of removing the waste yarn -- whether it was a tedious process or a simple step. I would appreciate any help. Thanks!!

nancydee
nancydee is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-19-2007, 06:29 PM   #2
of troy
Turning the Heel

there are several ways to make a provisional cast on

all of them exist to do the same thing--leave you with live stitches to pick up and knit with.

there is the EZ method, there are crocheted methods (several!) --you can just do a normal cast (a knitted one is best, long tail the worst!) with waste yarn, and then later undo the cast on.

Pick your posion! the end result is alwasy the same.. live stiches to pick up and work with-- (and live stitches are always 'stretchier' and cleaner than any normal cast on, and let a shawl (or what ever) fall and drape smoother.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:36 PM   #3
nancydee
Ribbing the Cuff

provisional cast on
of troy,

Thank you very much for your quick reply, but do you know if it is a difficult or tedious process to remove the waste yarn? I seem to be having a problem getting it removed.

nancydee
Old 05-19-2007, 10:36 PM   #4
cam90066
Working the Gusset

Removing the waste yarn shouldn't be too difficult if you've used a slippery fiber (it can also be thinner than your working yarn). Also make sure your CO sts are loose enough.

cam
Old 05-20-2007, 05:48 PM   #5
nancydee
Ribbing the Cuff

provisional cast on
Cam,
Thanks for your input too! I will be trying it with a more slippery yarn. It should help a lot.

nancydee
Old 05-20-2007, 07:34 PM   #6
...dotty...
Working the Gusset

Location: Other side of the computer screen, back in Tennessee !
It shouldn't be difficult if you pick up your stitches THROUGH THE BACK LOOP of the crochet chain, not either of the two front loops ! Turn the chain over to the back and go through the series of loops that runs down the middle of the chain.........a lighter colored yarn makes this much easier to see. Then when you go to take it out, undo the knot you made at your ending point (I leave this end tail longer so that I can tell which end to pull out !) and put each stitch on your needle before you pull the crochet yarn out of it.

Hope this helps !

MY RAVELRY ......... MY BLOG ....... http://dollyshome.blogspot.com/
...dotty... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 07:49 PM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It also helps if your chain is crocheted on a hook a couple sizes larger than your knitting needle. That way you can see the bumps better and get your needle through them easier.
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote