Old 05-20-2007, 02:29 AM   #11
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Phretys. Hi..ok..can you explain the mindset that goes with what you're explaining. In this example the person won't be working independently but working for a school district. My cultural perspective says that if an employer requires the testing they should pay for it (it's also partly understood as part of employer welfare culture).so..can you help me understand the difference and why a prospective employee there accepts paying?? Is part of the reasoning simply competition? Is it personal responsibility? Is it that the pay rate at the end of the day is so decent the small cost of testing is considered negligible? Is it because your tax system may be different and that people can claim such expenses there? (Here even uniforms etc can be problematic depending on the field).

One major positive I see in US corporations are health plans which we don't have here in the main.
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-20-2007, 10:53 AM   #12
chiricahuagal
Ribbing the Cuff

Quote:
Susan P. says: "Personally I hate tiered companies" and "I think phone sales are becoming very problematic" and " I think stuffing envelopes and doing similar jobs from home useful"

The job I am referring to that I work is NOT a tiered company; I do NOT make outbound calls bugging anyone to buy something or give money to charities; and I do NOT stuff envelopes. I answer customer service calls and emails from major corporations that many of you in the U.S. use services from and most of you have heard of. You may have spoken to me or one of my colleagues if you called one of them.

Here's the thing: the OP asks about jobs on the internet, and I responded with a link to a free online forum where work-at-home jobs are discussed by people working them, just like knitting is discussed here. The folks at that forum know the ins and outs of work-at-home jobs, especially those on the internet - so I was hoping that forum info would help the OP (NakedPancakes) find paying work at home. If you want to know what is legit and what is not, go there and post your questions - and read all the forums to learn what companies are hiring and what services they offer.

The link is Work Place Like Home and anyone can find a lot of good info about how to work at home, what scams to avoid and how other people are doing with the various companies that offer work-at-home jobs. Most of the jobs discussed are for US-based workers. It's the "work at home" equivalent of Knitting Help forum. It's free and there's a lot of helpful folks there, just like here.

And because I work in the "industry" I can say with confidence that is possible that legitimate companies may ask you to pay fees. If you don't want to pay for a background check or training to a company from which you will make that money back many times over, working from home, then that is ok - don't pursue it. But if you want to work from home via the internet - do a lot of research, check out the forum, ask a lot of questions - and then do what you need to do! It is possible (at least in the U.S.) to work from home via the internet with legitimate companies. Some of them don't ask for a fee, by the way.

Good luck to NakedPancakes - I hope you find the job you are looking for!
Old 05-20-2007, 06:11 PM   #13
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

My comment about tiered companies was a separate comment entirely and not directed at you or suggesting that's the work you did. I DID say that if what you did worked for you (which it clearly does and you've said that several times) then power to you.

Again, I am only offering an opinion on individual matters from my cultural perspective and values system. I will mind my own business re US issues in the future and stick to the knitting topics. Way way safer :-)
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 06:14 PM   #14
madametj
Working the Gusset

Are you any good with makeup? You could sell Mary Kay or Avon, its not on the internet, but it is self-employed. Even if you're not good with makeup, some people only buy things like morturizer, perfume, jewlrey, etc...

Bust some Stash!
madametj on Ravelry (quick, go add me as your friend and I'll add you! )
madametj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:34 PM   #15
feministmama
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by madametj View Post
Are you any good with makeup? You could sell Mary Kay or Avon, its not on the internet, but it is self-employed. Even if you're not good with makeup, some people only buy things like morturizer, perfume, jewlrey, etc...
I used to love the Avon lady. What hapened to her? THey never come aorund my door anymore. When I was a kid we always had Avon ladies. And all the mums looked forward to them coming. All the kids would play with her makeup and sniff the perfumes and put onthe jewlery.

And the tupperware parties, remember those?

I guess no one trust each other anymore? snif, its so sad
-That's OK, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway....
-I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Reading: Barbara Kingsolver
Knitting: socks

I'm Femmy on Ravelry
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote