Old 04-28-2007, 03:04 PM   #1
AnnaT
Knitting the Flap

Need help from Greek-speaking knitters!
Hi,

Knitting terms are not exactly in my English to Greek dictionary! I want to be able to talk to my husband's aunt and my LYS lady about knitting, but don't know any of the words. I know pleko, malli, acrylico, and velonas. That doesn't make for much conversation. Could someone please help me with knitting vocabulary?

1. knit stitch
2. purl stitch
3. felting (try explaining THAT without the word! I freaked the LYS lady out when I told her I wanted wool to put in the washing machine. I spent ten minutes explaining I WANTED it to shrink. She thought I was nuts.)
4. circular needles
5. double-pointed needles
6. I-cord
7. Anything else you can think of!

Thank you so much!
AnnaT is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-27-2007, 06:10 AM   #2
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

It's hard to know exactly how to help because although say the following appears to offer quite a comprehensive translation from English for knitting terms (for example ask it to translate the word 'knit' from English to Greek and you get an array of useful words/ phrases), what is translated appears in the Greek alphabet:

http://www.translatum.gr/

It MAY however help you to make up some flash cards etc. I think I'd be perhaps looking for someone who is bi-lingual to record a run of terms for you that you need. This way you can learn the right pronunciation. Is there a Greek club or society you could approach?
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote