Old 05-28-2007, 02:06 AM   #1
nittineedles
Casting On

Plying Question
A few years ago I won a lot of cone yarn on eBay. Unfortunately, when it arrived I discovered it was 'industrial' yarn which is about the thickness of heavy thread. I recently started plying this cone yarn into a knittable thickness and it's working very well. I now have some skeins of lovely soft yarn. Now for my question. I know that after I spin wool I need to wash and soak it in hot soapy water but these skeins aren't all wool. Some are 100% acrylic some are 75% cotton/25% acrylic, some are 100% cotton and some are 75%wool/25% acrylic. After plying do I need to wash and soak the skeins to set the twist or is that only reserved for newly spun wool?
nittineedles is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-28-2007, 11:21 AM   #2
Julie
Instepping Out

I think it depends -- when you hang the skein, does it twist back on itself? If it does, and you knit with it as-is, it will likely bias because of the added twist. You may want to try washing it and then thwacking it around for a bit to try to relax the extra twist and balance the yarn.

Another way to remedy this would be to make a cabled yarn -- ply two strands together in one direction, then ply two strands of that yarn together in the other direction, hopefully yielding a balanced 4-ply.
The Following User Says Thank You to Julie For This Useful Post:
nittineedles (05-28-2007)