Old 06-02-2007, 10:56 AM   #1
yvonnemarie2004
Casting On

Question about Pattern--"Work even" and counting rows
Hi. I am brand new to this forum as a result of trying to clarify the pattern I have just started, and far away from my local knit shop.

The pattern is #5 Cropped Shrug in Tahki Yarns Spring/Summer Collection.

I have started the back& casted on.

Then it says:

"(RS) Begin St st; work even for 11 rows, end with a wrong-side row.

Shape body
Row 12--Increase Row: (RS) Inc 1 st each side this row, then every 12 rows 3 times

Work even until piece measures 9" from beginning, end with a wrong-side row"

Is row 1 not the RS starting with the knit stitch? If I end with a wrong side row would that not be row 12? But then it is telling me to begin shaping the body on Row 12 by increasing 1 st each side.

To my of thinking I would begin shaping the body on Row 13. Could someone help me clarify what actually should happen here?

Many thanks,

Yvonne
yvonnemarie2004 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-02-2007, 11:23 AM   #2
michellebreton
1st Leg of the Journey

I think you are on the right track. That is how I would do it. It tells you that you need to begin the shaping on the RS, so I would start shaping on Row 13 and then Row 25 and so on....

Michelle
michellebreton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 03:54 PM   #3
G J
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,960 Times in 862 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to G J
I'm editing this b/c I think I understand your confusion better now.

Some directions assume your first row is your CO row. In fact, depending on the type of CO you do, it is! That being said, it you're tall, stick with row 13 as Michelle suggested. Otherwise, back it down a row.

Here's another hint:
I find it EXTREMELY helpful to put in a lifeline (see Amy's videos under glossary) on the row before shaping begins. This is helpful for two reasons:
  1. If you mess up, it's easy to frog back to the lifeline.
  2. It makes counting rows REALLY easy!
Have FUN and welcome!
Old 06-03-2007, 10:10 AM   #4
yvonnemarie2004
Casting On

Originally Posted by michellebreton View Post
I think you are on the right track. That is how I would do it. It tells you that you need to begin the shaping on the RS, so I would start shaping on Row 13 and then Row 25 and so on....

Michelle
Thank you so much for your help and helping me feel better that this is not just me. I figure the worst case is that I may have only 1 extra row which should not be too bad.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:14 AM   #5
yvonnemarie2004
Casting On

Originally Posted by G J View Post
I'm editing this b/c I think I understand your confusion better now.

Some directions assume your first row is your CO row. In fact, depending on the type of CO you do, it is! That being said, it you're tall, stick with row 13 as Michelle suggested. Otherwise, back it down a row.

Here's another hint:
I find it EXTREMELY helpful to put in a lifeline (see Amy's videos under glossary) on the row before shaping begins. This is helpful for two reasons:
  1. If you mess up, it's easy to frog back to the lifeline.
  2. It makes counting rows REALLY easy!
Have FUN and welcome!
Thank you so much for your confirmation, and also about the the lifeline. I had planned to put in markers on each of the increase rows for counting purposes too. I will have to look Amy's videos when I get back home tonight. At least I will feel better about working on this during the 4 hour drive back home. If I am off it will only be by 1 row.

Thanks again.