Old 06-04-2007, 12:21 AM   #1
jeanius80
Instepping Out

yarn shops near pikes place market (seattle)
anyone know of a decent yarn shop near pikes place market? i am going tomorrow with my BILs-mom and aunt as well as my mom , sister and 2 nieces oh, and my dd too. lol it's a day out for the ladies! anywho, i was curious about any shops in the 'touristy' area that i could maybe pop into while they decided to have a smoke break? thought i could maybe pick up some local yarn or roving that won't put me out a lot (more than say... $15) thanks
jeanius80 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-04-2007, 12:40 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I think there's one in the market, but don't remember for sure and it's bound to be pricey if there is one. Did you check the phone book under Yarn? There may be one downtown and your relatives could tell you how close the address is to PP.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:44 AM   #3
jeanius80
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
I think there's one in the market, but don't remember for sure and it's bound to be pricey if there is one. Did you check the phone book under Yarn? There may be one downtown and your relatives could tell you how close the address is to PP.

sue
i am the 'local' and i am also not from seattle, i live farther south. i am also the only knitter, and have only been knitting since this feb. so not too familiar with the lys in seattle itself! TIA
Old 06-04-2007, 01:18 AM   #4
jhelanee
Turning the Heel

Hi Jeanie

Unless there is a vendor in the market itself that sells fiber (and I haven't been there recently enough to say one way or the other), I don't know of anything right near the Pike Place Market. The closest LYS, So Much Yarn, is about 5 (or so, depending on where you start) blocks North of the Market at 2302 1st Ave S. I don't recall seeing any "local" yarns or roving in there the couple times I have been in. The only other nice LYS semi-close (but not walking distance) is Hilltop Yarn on the top of Queen Anne hill. It's the closest one to my house and although they have some roving in addition to lots of yarn, I don't know that they carry anything "local" either. For the most part I haven't found that LYS in Seattle carry much locally produced yarn or roving, unfortunately.

BTW, when you are at the market it is fun to drop by the original Starbucks store. It is across the street from the main market arcade building, somewhere in the northern section (sorry I'm not more specific - it's been a while since I was there).

Enjoy your day!

Recently finished: DH's small-gauge sweater; Secret of the Stole ii - "Savannah"; BSJ (well the knitting anyway)
On Needles: socks; Odessa (from Magknits)

jhelanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:22 AM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Originally Posted by jeanius80 View Post
i am the 'local' and i am also not from seattle, i live farther south. i am also the only knitter, and have only been knitting since this feb. so not too familiar with the lys in seattle itself! TIA
Heeehehee.. Okay. But still... check the phonebook, or yellow pages online and look for one that's fairly close.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:33 PM   #6
LibraryLady
1st Leg of the Journey

I used to go to the Market about once a week or so, but that was 5+ years ago. I donít remember a knitting shop anywhere close or in the market itself. Most of what I saw was stuff already made.

Please let us know if you do see anything! Have fun and donít forget to take them to see the fish throwers!

LL
LibraryLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:39 PM   #7
RiverDaughter
1st Leg of the Journey

Ugg, I grew up in that area, and I haven't a clue if there's a yarn shop. I don't think there is one in the Market itself, or in the building across the street, sorry. But I haven't been to the Market in over a year, so I could be wrong.

Best of luck if you find one, and please tell us, because I so want an excuse to go back down to the Market.

GENERATION 5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and increment the generation by 1. Consider it a social experiment.
RiverDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:20 PM   #8
jeanius80
Instepping Out

lol no YS at the market. we did have a nice time though! bought some fish, some peaches, some strawberries and had lunch at red robins my sisters MIL bought my dd a cute shirt from the 'pirates gift shop' (real name escapes me??) its black, has a smiley face pirate skull in pink glitter and in white glitter letters says "give me your booby!" (not a typo! i still nurse so its hilarious!)