Old 06-19-2007, 09:58 PM   #81
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by letah75 View Post
Personally, I kind of like "touchy" subjects. I think it's good to touch on things that make us uncomfortable because it causes us to think. And, well, thinking is underrated these days.
Me too, and it often gets me in trouble. I have a rule, I only makes friends with people who think differently from me. Most of my friends are conservative or religious, and even though I am neither, being friends with them, hearing them, and having them hear me make all of us better people. We have lost the art of discourse in this country. I feel like a vast majority of people no longer have the desire to talk and listen about things they don't agree with. We're more narrow minded than ever. And I say that NOT because some people disagree with my opinions on things, but that they aren't willing to discuss it at all. Does that make sense? It just makes me sad, because intellectual discourse is the foundation of true democracy and I see them both slipping away.
CarmenIbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CarmenIbanez For This Useful Post:
letah75 (06-20-2007), Yarnlady (06-20-2007)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-20-2007, 09:08 AM   #82
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Very interesting point...

I grew up in a small, conservative town. After my children were born, my dh and I lived in south FL for several years. Talk about a culture shock! I mean, I was a girl who had rarely driven down one-way streets. I'd never seen the things I saw down there. It really changed my perspective.

I remember a talk my mil and I had one time while shopping in an outlet mall near our house down there. She noticed someone with a lot of tattoos and commented about it...maybe something about my kids never getting one.

I told her that if that was the worse thing that my daughter did, and if she was a wonderful person who loved the Lord and served Him, and all she wanted to do was get a tattoo or get weird body piercings, then who cared? What matters most is the heart.

My dh, overhearing (and fearing) this conversation, eased away from us.

But for me to say that was a HUGE step from where I had been only a few years before.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to auburnchick For This Useful Post:
CarmenIbanez (06-20-2007)
Old 06-20-2007, 09:59 AM   #83
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by ekgheiy View Post
Hi Rebecca!! I'm actually off of the crutches now. I just haven't gotten around to changing my sig. Plus, I'm not yet at 100% (and I couldn't find a smiley with a brace.) My left ankle is the culprit. But after about a month of PT, it's a lot better now. I have a nifty little brace and, because I can walk without it, I only use it in my exercise routines or whenever it gets to aching. I must say though ... I'll take my bum over yer's. Hehehehe ...
I was concerned so I had to ask ya about it! yes, I couldn't find a smiley with a hip replacement and crutches, LOL....or the ankle braces because as you can see I'm wearing them now, too! LOL, at least they are preventing ankle dislocation, but they sure are pretty...NOT

Sorry, didn't meant to hijack, I had asked ek about her crutches...

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!
rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:24 AM   #84
Yarnlady
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by amy View Post
I didn't have time to compose this properly earlier, but I want to point out that I've moved the original post to public view again. It is locked, but in public view.
A search didn't bring it up....where is it?

Yarnlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:29 AM   #85
Silver
Instepping Out

It's in this OT forum

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:33 PM   #86
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

Experience is what gives us perspective. It concerns me when I talk to my husband about his students who live three hours from Los Angeles, four hours from Las Vegas, two hours from snow in the mountains and four hours from Phoenix and they've NEVER been out of the valley we live in. Un-believable! My son is a homebody, I don't think he'd ever leave the house if he didn't have to. He is spending his first year after highschool traveling. I did not give him a choice on that. If after going out in the world, he decides to live as a homebody that is fine, but he won't live his life with no perspective!
CarmenIbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:00 PM   #87
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Originally Posted by rebecca View Post
I was concerned so I had to ask ya about it! yes, I couldn't find a smiley with a hip replacement and crutches, LOL....or the ankle braces because as you can see I'm wearing them now, too! LOL, at least they are preventing ankle dislocation, but they sure are pretty...NOT

Sorry, didn't meant to hijack, I had asked ek about her crutches...
Oh the woes of our ankles, eh?

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:09 PM   #88
letah75
Working the Gusset

Quote:
Experience is what gives us perspective. It concerns me when I talk to my husband about his students who live three hours from Los Angeles, four hours from Las Vegas, two hours from snow in the mountains and four hours from Phoenix and they've NEVER been out of the valley we live in. Un-believable! My son is a homebody, I don't think he'd ever leave the house if he didn't have to. He is spending his first year after highschool traveling. I did not give him a choice on that. If after going out in the world, he decides to live as a homebody that is fine, but he won't live his life with no perspective!
I agree! I think it's great that you are going to have your son travel.

I have friends who have widley varying beliefs. Some agree with me, some COMPLETELY disagree. I consider myself a traditionalist.....in that I think tradition and perspective are both important. I believe it's important to know/understand and sometimes follow traditions. However, I also believe that traditions have to change just as perspectives and society change. Just because something changes doesn't mean it's for the worst, just that it's different.

I will not have kids until I'm married, I will not live with someone prior to marriage. I would love to stay home with future children and raise them myself rather than put them into daycare....I would, I want to do it for me. Not because I think it's right for all, but it's right for me.

I love discussing politics, religion, law & order, mental health, garding, knitting, history, etc. with my friends. And I LOVE it when we disagree. I get exposed to new perspectives and ideas, my mind has even been changed once in a while. I've heard some say over the years "I want to know what the enemy thinks, so I talk to them."

If you disagree with me, think I'm wrong, think I'm misguided, you are NOT my enemy, you are my friend who happens to disagree with me. I want to know your opion because I value you, I value your thoughts, opinions, mores and values. We don't have to agree to live together, we don't have to share these things to be family. We don't have to see eye to eye to care/love one another. But we have to be respectful, nice, courteous, and caring to one another to be happy healthy and good.

I hope this makes sense. :-)

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson
letah75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to letah75 For This Useful Post:
CarmenIbanez (06-20-2007)
Old 06-21-2007, 01:11 PM   #89
Suziblues
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to Suziblues
No matter what a person's opinions are, they should be free to express them.
Think of all the men and women who have died to make our beautiful country free.
But with each freedom, comes a responsiblility. Re: We cannot yell FIRE in a theater unless there is really a fire! So if we all use our common sense, we can totally enjoy the differances in everybody.
I LOVE the differances in people, it is what makes the world go 'round!
My dad used to tell me not to get into any discussions regarding religion or politics. But I love a good discussion. My mind is totally open to new ideas.
And I always remember that I can be aggressive, without being rude.

I am kinda new here, and I just want to say that I love this site. sue
You get what you need."
M. Jagger
Suziblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:55 PM   #90
HamburgKnitter
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by CarmenIbanez View Post
Hear hear. Travelling is so important, and I wish more young people (especially american young people) would travel more. You can learn so much from other cultures, discover new things, new food, new languages (new yarn 8-)), etc. I'm american, but I live in Europe and I feel really lucky to live in a place where I can jump in the car and be in several different countries within just a few hours!

Still trying to convince Henry the cat that knitting is a spectator sport!
HamburgKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote