Old 05-24-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Harry Potter --plot speculation, personal theories only
First off, I apologize to the non-fans who have to dodge three different threads already, and the book isn't even out yet!

I know we already have one "spoilers" thread, but it sounded like there may be references to outside "proof" of plot, true spoilers? I haven't read it. I'd like to keep this thread clear of any "proof" or even of professional speculation (based on articles, etc.) of what plot may unfold. Let's just share our own ideas here.

Starting with....
Originally Posted by BostonBecca
It's always been my theory that she kills Harry in a way so that oldemort dies as well. I think the book could end with Ron and Hermione visting his grave with their children, including a son named Harry. It would be sad, but a fitting end. I don't think Harry will kill Voldemort because Dumbledore has always told Harry that killing someone else is one of the worst things a person can do, that it tears the soul in two. I think Snape will be more complex than just being evil and will do something to save Harry at some point in the book. I think Harry could die and be reunited with his parents and Sirius and Dumbledore that way. I do think Ginny would never get over his death and therefore might die as well. I also think Lupin will kill Greyback.

Originally Posted by Chrislt8
I think.....

1. Dumbledore will be back in the last book - either in spirit form or "transformed" like Gandalf was in LOTR

2. Neville will be key to the final confrontation

3. Snapes is a "good guy"

4. Hermione will end up the youngest witch ever to be made a Hogwart's professor

Any thoughts?

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham

Last edited by amy : 06-27-2007 at 09:57 AM.
amy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-27-2007, 12:05 AM   #2
Braden
Instepping Out

Harry Potter --plot speculation, personal theories only
Originally Posted by chrislt8 View Post
3. Snapes is a "good guy"
He killed Dumbledore! I just don't see how he could ever be a "good "guy"

CONGRATULATIONS TO AMY AND SHELDON ON THE BIRTH OF THEIR DAUGHTER!

BradenCS on Ravelry
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 01:31 AM   #3
chrislt8
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by ContiKnitter View Post
He killed Dumbledore! I just don't see how he could ever be a "good "guy"
But I don't think he really DID kill Dumbledore - I think he and Dumbledore are "in cahoots" somehow...Dumbledore has just stood up for him too many times throughout the series....
Old 06-27-2007, 02:01 AM   #4
Braden
Instepping Out

Hmmm, interesting twist.

But, they buried Dumbledore. I don't see how he could still be alive after that, but, you never know with him. I really look forward to reading the book.

*edit- I've thought about it, and you're RIGHT! Dumbledore wants Voldemort to think Snape's on his side, so he made Snape pretend to kill him, so he could spy for him! What a plot!*

CONGRATULATIONS TO AMY AND SHELDON ON THE BIRTH OF THEIR DAUGHTER!

BradenCS on Ravelry
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:19 AM   #5
Jax3303
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Jax3303
I do think Snape and Dumbledore were in 'cahoots', but Dumbledore IS really dead. (his portrait is up with the other dead headmasters, and JKR has said so in interviews) Dumbledore wanted Snape to kill him, I believe he was pleading with Snape to kill him. I don't think Dumbledore would EVER plead for someone to NOT kill him. That's not how he was.

My Blog

Jax3303 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jax3303 For This Useful Post:
BostonBecca (06-27-2007)
Old 06-27-2007, 08:21 AM   #6
BostonBecca
Turning the Heel

Or Dumbledore asked Snape to do it, he said "please" but the please was ambiguous. It could have been "please, kill me now" or "please don't." Dumbledore did say "to the well organized mind, death is merely the next great adventure" when speaking about Nicolas Flamel. His picture appeared snoozing in the picture frame for him in the headmaster's office. Harry has to grow up and this is part of that for me. Anyone who holds out hope for Dumbledore not being dead if they are over 10 is just unable to handle the death of a fictional character. It was sad, I cried, I moved on and now am looking at the meaning of his death for the next book. The author has killed off Harry's closest mentors and he has to stand on his own two feet, with support from his friends, but still on his own, as the prophecy calls for.

The author has said many times that she really did kill Dumbledore, that it was hard for her to do, but that he is dead.

KnittingDefender on Ravelry.

BostonBecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:17 AM   #7
newamy
Working the Gusset

Well I have a different idea. Dumbledore's investigations that he shares with Harry reveal that a soul is purposely torn in two when creating a Horcrux- which is partly why Voldemort wants to kill. Also Voldemort, or rather Tom Riddle has never known unconditional love. Harry however has. His life was saved by love itself, the Dursley's house protects him till adulthood based on the ancient bonds of family love. It is reapeatedly pointed out that inspite of all the tragedies of his life he can still love with a pure heart. McGonagall even says that Dumbledore would enjoy seeing more love in the world in regards to the Lupin/Tonks romance. I rather think it is love that will save the day. He tells Ginny in Half blood Prince that they can't be together because of his concern that Voldemort goes after family and uses people his enemies care about. I think this will turn out to be a mistake, I think Harry's strength will be found in having those he loves near by- Ginny, all the Weasleys, Hermione, his other friends. People representing all the kinds of love there is. Of course the power of such love won't be realized till the end. If Voldemort dies at Harry's hands or as part of a some sort of magical encounter it will be due to the power of love that Voldemort does not understand. Harry, however will be sustained by it.

I'm newamy on

Last edited by newamy : 06-27-2007 at 09:27 AM. Reason: spelling
newamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:25 AM   #8
newamy
Working the Gusset

I agree, Dumbledore did really die. Rowling is rhuthless about these things. I was just watching a program that compared the Star Wars Trilogy to ancient mythology and the Hero must loose his mentors and face his enemy alone- there were many Harry Potter parrallels in the show. Luke lost his parents, his aunt and uncle and finally Obi Wan. Harry lost his parents, his God Father and finally Dumbledore. The difference is that there is a magical, prophetic relationship between Harry and Voldemort. In Star Wars Luke saves his own father. So slightly different twist but the ordinary young kid with an insurmountable enemy (evil) who learns from mentors, then loosing them, becoming the hero of the day is a very similar concept.

I'm newamy on
newamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:37 AM   #9
chrislt8
Turning the Heel

I agree newamy-that is very close to how I see Harry's development..

Re Dumbledore, my thought isn't that he didn't die in the last book - but that he will still be back in some form-either in spirit form or somehow metamorphasized. And I completely agree that he was asking Snape to "please" kill him rather than not to.

And <<I think Harry's strength will be found in having those he loves near by- Ginny, all the Weasleys, Hermione, his other friends. People representing all the kinds of love there is. Of course the power of such love won't be realized till the end. If Voldemort dies at Harry's hands or as part of a some sort of magical encounter it will be due to the power of love that Voldemort does not understand. Harry, however will be sustained by it.>> is exactly how I see the ending!
Old 06-27-2007, 09:38 AM   #10
chrislt8
Turning the Heel

Amy - thanks for moving the "speculation" thread here! Great idea