Old 06-24-2007, 01:01 AM   #21
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

I've read thru comments..just to update.. one of the body corporate guys came to look and he studied the vanity and the issue and he's suggested that I get a good handyman in..have him disconnect the pipes and literally move the vanity over and reconnect. There is 'space' under the flanges as they are and it may be enough. It was good to know at least that the vanity is sitting on the tiles and NOT surrounded by tiles. Moving the unit would make the space for the loo on the other side narrower but this is really just a guest or spare toilet for me as I have an ensuite. The shelf may need a little grind down but perhaps not.

Duct tape is a great idea! I was also thinking of sliding a sheet of cardboard down either side too.

Scratching does matter in the sense that if you take the paint off and then the bare metal winds up rusty..that completely affects warranty and insurance. I've spoken with insurers about rust marks on machines before and they are very touchy about them because they can assume things like " person has lived near ocean and has got salt spray in motor - rust suggests the possibility..nope..we won't pay out on motor repair".

This is a principle issue for me. If you have someone come to look at a machine and it looks like you've cared for it well, their attitude is different than if there are loads of marks and scratches.

There is also, as a lesser issue, my desire to respect the machine and the cost of it. $900 is not an amount I would have often for such an item and therefore I am motivated to care for it as well as I can.
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-24-2007, 01:03 AM   #22
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

I should point out that the machine would slide in now with like a tissue width between it and the wall/vanity. (wall on one side and vanity on the other)

I've had some problems with machines unbalancing before..any tips to get this right? Is it a matter of using a spirit level?

I know not to put too much water in etc but any additional tips are welcome.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:45 AM   #23
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Oh the irony! In this laundry/bathroom area above the washer space is a wall mounted dryer. Most apartments have one but I have my own and that is currently sitting in the kitchen area. Just went to use it and it doesn't work. Tried various power points but..nope. Then..used tap over sink and the tap leaks and water is running across the top of the vanity unit. So, looks like I need to talk to owner through agent and perhaps offer my dryer to the apartment and via negotiation have a new vanity put in! I just dragged all the wet washing back from my son's also!
Old 06-25-2007, 07:15 AM   #24
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Heh..the dryer you CAN use if you coax it the wait for the loud 'bang' as a cycle commences.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:24 AM   #25
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

The outcome? The owner totally refused permission for me to move the vanity..even when I was willing to pay for it and even though in the end I was asking for a move of about 2 inches. This I have no accept. I will have to sell my washer, buy another and accept the money and usage loss. The dryer grinds unbelievably and the cycles don't work properly at all and yet when I offered my own lovely and less than a year old dryer, owner again said no claiming the current dryer "works". No, it doesn't, and on this I will insist on the machine being fixed. It either totally cooks clothes (you smell them burning) or won't work on lower heat. The noise is makes would disturb the neighbours. It's awfully loud! Why is it that these owners always tend to have 3/4 investment properties and are really difficult!
Old 06-27-2007, 08:19 AM   #26
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

I hope you won't lose to much money on the selling/buying the washer... We're moving in the next couple of days and we need to paint the whole place (the whole 48 sq.m. of that :rofling. All of the electric switches are old and ugly. so i called the owner and asked if together with the paint we can buy new switches. So he starts arguing with me He was supposed to paint the place in between tenants, but since we hadn't had the time, we will do it, so he saves about 350$ on the work and he's arguing with me over 20$. Go figure owners I guess it's a certain kind of people that goes into owning real estate for profit...
Goos luck
KnittingNat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KnittingNat For This Useful Post:
Susan P. (06-27-2007)
Old 06-27-2007, 12:36 PM   #27
debinoz
Turning the Heel

Hmmmm.. I'll never understand landlords. You'd think if you were offering all of this stuff free, they'd jump at it.

Before we bought our house, our last landlord was a dream. DH works in concrete and if he'd have any left from a pour, he'd have it delivered to our rental. Landlord got a nice paved drive and we got at least 4 free months of rent from the process.
Susan P. (06-27-2007)
Old 06-27-2007, 10:22 PM   #28
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

knittingnat..ridiculous when they penny pinch and you are already saving them loads of money. You changing the fitting could prevent a fire also.

debinoz...wonderful when you've had a good relationship with a landlord. I generally rent through agents but I've only really ever had one really fabulous landlord. The rest have been penny pinching..people that expected you to put up with cracks through shower screens and the fear of the glass breaking but would never live with that themselves. What appalls me are these people who know they get a tax benefit from doing work but they don't or won't..sometimes because they are cheating the system themselves and don't want to be caught out..or..they have many properties and are like scrooge..or..they think you as a renter are low life compared to them as owner and so don't deserve better. The best landlords tend to be those who rented for some times themselves I think.