Old 07-19-2007, 04:30 PM   #1
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Aggressive dog on walk..
Yesterday when DH and I were out walking our little dog, Foofoo, we encountered a very aggressive black lab. He ran up to us from a culdesac growling with hackles raised. I picked up Foofie and DH told me not to move. He kept telling the dog to go away and he took out his pocket knife because it was obvious from the way the dog was looking at me and Foofie and he made an attempt to go around DH to get us. He had on a collar with long, yellow nylon rope tied onto it that had the end frayed as if he'd chewed through it. The woman who owns him came running and got the dog finally, but it was pretty tense for a few minutes there. We didn't say anything and now I wish I had.

So my question.. is there something we can take with us on a walk to protect ourselves..or at least give us time to get away should something like this happen again? Bear spray comes to mind, but there may be something for dogs...? I'm afraid to go out for a walk with Foo now by myself.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-19-2007, 04:52 PM   #2
marykz
Working the Gusset

My Dad always carried a big walking stick when out and about in the neighborhood. OF course, you would have to be willing to whack the aggressive dog with it to be effective. (I don't think I could)

Wouldn't regular Mace work on dogs? (i.e. pepper spray?) Sorry to hear you have such a negligient owner on your walk. hope she learned her lesson and will buy a proper tie-out for that dog.

luckily, the people who used to live next door with a very aggressive dog moved. I wouldn't let DD play in the yard when it was out. I'd never walk my dogs up "their" part of the street. it was extremely frustrating.

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:52 PM   #3
bellium
1st Leg of the Journey

my best advice to you would be to carry something that makes a very loud nose - air horn or something of the like. mace doesn't work on dogs the way it works on people. sometimes you can distract a dog with cookies - drop one or two, then throw them a short distance away so you can get out of there.

irresponsible dog owners are one of my biggest pet peeves. i have the people who walk their dogs, leashless, in areas where leashes are required. i used to have a rescued, dog-agressive boxer who i liked to walk - i always kept him on a leash, and i hated it when other peoples' dogs would come bounding up to us - i had to keep my dog pulled up right against me with his head in my hands, and the dumb owners would always say something like, "oh, don't worry, he/she's friendly!' - then i'd have to tell them mine wasn't, and to get their dog the hell away from us before someone got hurt. i would get dirty looks, like i had been doing something wrong!
bellium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:55 PM   #4
Nobones
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to Nobones
Oh Jan you must have been scared out of your wits! And your poor doggie. I think you should have said something, it sounds like (not wishing to scare you in any way) that if your hubby wasn't there things could have turned out a bit differently. Imagine if that had been a small child. I think I'd report it. But regarding going out again, is there another way you could walk? Maybe spraying the animal could provoke a reaction.

I hope you feel better after your shock.

My dress & costume making website-
www.gothwardian.co.uk

'Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work'. -Aristotle

Nobones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:59 PM   #5
MamaMer
1st Leg of the Journey

Yes there is! It is called Direct Stop and it is a pepper spray like repellent that is made with citronella, so it tastes bad and stings the dogs eyes, it won't cause irreparable harm to the dog. We have 2 small dogs and take it everywhere with us when we walk them or go to dog parks, bcs they are bite sized appetizers to even medium dogs, and we need to protect them from truly aggressive dogs. HTH!
MamaMer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MamaMer For This Useful Post:
jeanius80 (07-22-2007)
Old 07-19-2007, 09:17 PM   #6
figaro
Working the Gusset

My old street was popular with both people walking and people walking their dogs and most of them had a large stick of some sorts. There was a house 3 houses away that did have a couple of large somewhat aggressive dogs that when they got out, they went into the "pack" mentality and would be more aggressive. One of them started to chase me from their yard when I went out to get my mail! I was always nervous walking our dog even though he is 75 lbs but when we were out and there were other dogs (those dogs) that would bark at him, he would ignore them. He was more interested in making friends with the people he saw then other dogs!

I would say get some mace style spray for dogs and a large solid walking stick. The spray would be to get them from a distance and then the stick of course for if they get too close. Good luck!

figaro
and also on Plurk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

figaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:07 PM   #7
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Just check on your district and state laws if you carry spray. Your laws tend to be more liberal than ours but here it's actually illegal for someone who is not a police officer or similar to carry and use sprays. I agree a horn sound is excellent. You could look at a taser also and consider the legalities of that too. Your local police station should be able to offer good advice.

I was mauled by a dog as a child. Not fun. I love dogs but once or twice in my life I've been confronted by a dog who I knew was poised to attack. I slowly walked backwards with eyes lowered because meeting the eyes can be taken as a challenge (like in dog packs).

I believe bad dog owners are becoming a major menace in our society. No-one should be scared to walk down their street. In my current area there are a number of heroin users and for some reason most have dogs. They wander with owners with no leash, most are ill fed and a few have had way too many litters for their own good. I've got back into my car on one occasion rather than risking walking past a pit bull walking up the sidewalk.
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:42 AM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Thanks for the help and support!

You know we often take a heavy walking stick, but our dog is afraid of it so he hasn't been bringing it. I think Foofie better get used to it from now on. I'll look in to the sprays, etc, too. Thanks!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:15 AM   #9
dakatzmeow
Turning the Heel

perhaps you should contact animal control and make a report. if they have the dog tied out, and it can chew through a rope, they really aren't protecting the dog or the public.

if your poochie is afraid of the stick, try leaving it around the house where he/she can sniff it and become used to it. is doggy clicker trained? that can help. you can also try to get doggy to associate the stick with high value treats like bologna/turkey/biscuit treat of choice.

best wishes.

married my beloved january 9, 2008!!!!! <3
dakatzmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:31 AM   #10
zkimom
Working the Gusset

Jan,

I'm so sorry that happened to you. It must have been frightening!

Do you know where the dog lives so you can talk to the owner? That's the first thing I would do -- I wouldn't be so quick to call animal control.

I have a friend who lives down the road from me. She called me once and asked if I knew a woman who had dog who lived across the street from me. She said the woman walks past her house with the dog off leash and the dog runs onto her property and scares her cat. She has young children and was concerned that the dog might try and hurt her kids.

I tried to think of who she might be talking about and it didn't occur to me right away that she was talking about my neighbor who has 2 young children and I dog that I would never consider a threat to anyone. I have gone over to her house many times to feed and let her dog out if she and her family were gone for the day. Our pups have even had playdates. My neighbor is a lovely lady and would have responded considerately if my friend had approached her reasonably.

I told her who I thought she was referring to and she said, thanks, now I can call Animal Control and make a complaint.

I tried to get her to talk to my neighbor face to face or even just call her but she was convinced that Animal Control needed to be involved. I felt bad -- if both women had met under other circumstances, they might have even liked each other.

I'm not saying you might not have to call Animal Control to intervene at some point, but if you can speak to the dog's owner, you may find a reasonable solution first.

Best,
Susan

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote