Old 07-20-2007, 08:16 AM   #11
Luvmyrottnboy
Knitting the Flap

I carry a stick. I absolutely cannot understand why anyone would have a dog, profess to love the dog and let it run loose. This has happened to to me and Cyrus several times too and it makes me crazy.

For us, however, the situation is a little different. My Cyrus is a Rottweiler. He is very dog and people friendly but I assume if he was threatened and the dog didn't take heed of his warning, Cyrus would fight. And in most cases Cyrus would win.

And the saddest part is even if the other dog attacked, MY Cyrus would be blamed and both of US would suffer.

Denise

Mom to the late Cyrus the Fluffweiler CGC forever in my heart and James the Alpha cat
Luvmyrottnboy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-20-2007, 08:55 AM   #12
zkimom
Working the Gusset

I don't let my dogs off leash except at the dog park. My Rat Terrier is very socialized and loves the dog park. (I'm always on guard there cause many people can't read their dogs' signs and can't tell the difference between aggression and play.)

I'm sure my pup would come when he's called -- he is very responsive and I trust him but even though he's not the size of a Rottie, he's a Rat Terrier and his nature is to go after small animals. So, as obedient as he is in controlled situations like my yard and the dog park and on leash, I'd be foolish to assume that he wouldn't go after someone else's cat or small pet or, God forbid, a small child. He's had much obedience training but how many animals would stop on a dime if there was "prey" involved. The bad things happen faster than we expect them to.

Anyway, I don't think my neighbor should keep walking her dog off leash no matter how much the dog likes it, I just think that the authorities should be a worst case scenario.

BTW, the spray idea sounds good to me. Like I said, even at the dog park many people can't tell aggression from play.

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:16 AM   #13
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

I am wondering how a water squirter might go. Dogs often hate having water squirted in their faces. What do people think of this?

Also, how about one of those cans of pressurised air. I use them on my computer keyboard and they have a long, thin nozzle. I know a few times I've almost jumped out of my skin when my son has directed a quick shot of spray at me when I wasn't expecting it. The problem with this of course would be that the other animal would need to be close, but a horn or a water pistol you can use at reasonable distance.

And of course, everyone knows that if dogs DO start a serious fight not to try and step in between them. Hosing is about the best but obviously on a walk that's hard to do. Sometimes dogs will have a skirmish that is scary but they'll release. If owners get in a tizz (understandable) then this can make it worse. One of the occasions when a spray WOULD be very useful but then you're likely to get your own dog as well of course.

I honestly wish people had to apply to have dogs these days. Really committed pet owners would mind I believe.
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:21 AM   #14
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Since we're on the topic..anyone ever had to broach a neighbour about a barking dog in an apartment building? There is one down the hall from me and it seems its owners are now leaving it once a week for a whole day - and it's not used to it. It barks and barks and of course other residents wind up coming out into the hall and yelling for it to shut up. The dog IS getting better..the second week was way better than the first for example..however..6 hours of on/off barking is difficult. I've spoken to the group that runs the place and they said they have spoken to the owners before and the owners voiced a wish that people would just come and speak to them directly. I guess I can only be honest with them about the situation..however..if I am able to suggest any tips I would like to do so at the time same..in the sense of showing my understanding and willingness to be patient a while longer.

Advice? Tips?
Old 07-20-2007, 10:29 AM   #15
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,761 Times in 7,129 Posts
I don't think it would be a good idea to use just water on an aggressive, unknown dog. I've had dogs bark and growl on our walks occasionally, but nothing like this. As to talking to the owner I'm not even 100% sure where the dog lives other than in the culdesac. At this point I don't think I'll say anything as it's never happened before, but I will protect myself and my dog as much as possible. IF it happens again you can be sure I'll notify animal control.

Oh and the dog lives around the corner and down a side street in our neighborhood. I could probably walk my dog just around my own short block and be okay, but I don't want to be limited.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:42 AM   #16
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

The most terrified I have ever been was one day going for a VERY short walk and then attempting to walk towards the house. Two neighbouring dogs, on full attack presentation mode bailed me up. I was terrified and it was all I could do to back away. I had nothing in my hands and there were no other homes I could retreat to. Eventually I found a way to literally slide against the external wall around the house and got in ..the dogs had backed off my then anyway when their interest was taken elsewhere.

I called our local animal ranger (as we call it here) and told him about it. Apparently the owners had been hauled in 3!! times before over these dogs, had received fines and so on. I asked him HOW LONG it would be before the animals were impounded and that I would take action again the Council if placed in the same situation again and if I ever saw the dogs on the street again. That did it and I admit, I never say the dogs again. But how many chances are people given!
Old 07-20-2007, 10:46 AM   #17
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,761 Times in 7,129 Posts
That's ridiculous! It happens everywhere though. It's like they are waiting for the animal to kill or maim someone before they do anything??!

ETA: I just found this http://www.pepper-spray-store.com/pr...og-spray.shtml
Anyone know anything about it?

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:13 AM   #18
Luvmyrottnboy
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Susan P. View Post
Since we're on the topic..anyone ever had to broach a neighbour about a barking dog in an apartment building? There is one down the hall from me and it seems its owners are now leaving it once a week for a whole day - and it's not used to it. It barks and barks and of course other residents wind up coming out into the hall and yelling for it to shut up. The dog IS getting better..the second week was way better than the first for example..however..6 hours of on/off barking is difficult. I've spoken to the group that runs the place and they said they have spoken to the owners before and the owners voiced a wish that people would just come and speak to them directly. I guess I can only be honest with them about the situation..however..if I am able to suggest any tips I would like to do so at the time same..in the sense of showing my understanding and willingness to be patient a while longer.

Advice? Tips?

I used to manage a dog friendly condo and there was a bull mastiff who barked aaaallllll day when his master went to work. Of course the residents came to me.

I spoke with the dog's owner who had no idea his boy was doing this. So, he crated him. the dog felt safe and secure and the problem stopped immediately.

Definitely suggest a crate. Dogs who are crate trained really do like their crates. My dog is crate trained but I give him the run of the house anyway because he is a good boy but most of the time he hangs out in his crate out of his own choice.

Good luck!

Denise

Mom to the late Cyrus the Fluffweiler CGC forever in my heart and James the Alpha cat
Luvmyrottnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:11 PM   #19
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

What does the crate to? Just give it a sense of a cave like space that's secure? I admit I've never heard of that. I suspect these ladies will not do it mind you..just from my observation..they are more likely to perhaps buy it a big doll But thanks for the response.. I will suggest it.

Jan..that sprays looks good.. I guess the only comment again is to ensure its USE is legal where you are..shipping of course is different than using it.. oh..and.. make sure the wind is not blowing in your direction if possible..you would not want it in your own eyes. Tho, we hope you never have to use it. I admit, I'm doing all the right things re warning about legalities, but if I could buy one of those here I would..just for personal safety. If I am attacked or believe I am about to be.. I'll face the consequences later and would prefer that than being harmed.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:13 PM   #20
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Sorry Denise, you DID say safe and secure. Thanks again.