Old 07-16-2007, 12:23 AM   #11
jeanius80
Instepping Out

my veil was super simple! first i figured out how i was going to wear it and how long/where i wanted it to fall to. i used tulle (a fine netting, i think it was 60 inches wide - i wanted it very full). i bought some clear plastic hair combs (so they wouldn't show) you could use a decorative comb, head band, whatever catches your eye! i folded the tulle, giving me a bit of genourous length on both ends ( i had bought 6 yards) I wore mine very long, a chapel length veil and a front veil that came to my elbows. at the folded edge, i took clear thread/fishline and just sewed it super loose the whole length. i then knotted the end to the tulle, and pulled it tight to gather the material until it was the same width as the plastic comb. then i took the thread and just sewed it to the comb by going around the top and between the teeth of the comb. super simple!

to get it the right length i pulled my hair to the approximate hight.placed the comb and checked the length, carefully trimming until i was happy.

you can do all sorts to jazz it up, adding lace to the edges or scarted around, adding beads, or really any trim you can think of! i spent less than $15 US on it total. here in the states, i would have had to pay probably at least 4 times that or more.
jeanius80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeanius80 For This Useful Post:
willowangel (07-19-2007)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-18-2007, 11:46 AM   #12
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Great job.. those colors look really nice :happydancing:

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:10 PM   #13
willowangel
Knitting the Flap

Woohoo, it's finished *grin* My very first ball of hand-dyed silk.

It's kind of in between these two colours - with a flash it's so shiny it comes up very light, and without a flash it comes up very dark - its closer to the light version though. We call it 'Defying Gravity'.

It's unbelievably soft *grin*
Old 07-19-2007, 09:15 PM   #14
IamtheWalter
Ribbing the Cuff

Great Job! It looks beautiful.

As for freezing the dyes, I've never kept procion dye in solution but I believe that, as long as the water is a neutral ph, it lasts for about two weeks at room temperature, and do know that people store the dye in the fridge for longer periods. The dye goes bad because it reacts to the water in the solution, but the colder it is, the slower it reacts, so it makes sense that frozen dye would last quite a while.
IamtheWalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:42 PM   #15
jeanius80
Instepping Out

thats so pretty!
jeanius80 is offline   Reply With Quote