Old 07-22-2007, 05:34 PM   #21
MrsJSD
Ribbing the Cuff

ambivalent
It's a problem, where I live. That's why we actually have to live in two places.

We moved here five years ago and there are some nice things: we live on 10 acres of southern appalachian hardwood forest land. It's peaceful and cool and green, and in the winter the view opens up to the gentle mountains nearly 360 degrees. But the society is wanting. My daughter is 8 and bright; the local school just doesn't do much for her. There is almost no culture to interest us. Most people don't seem to do anything but go to church, work, eat, and watch TV. Except for the outdoorsy types: there is a lot of kayaking and canoeing, but I have a bad back and shoulder so I can't really get in on that.

So we're buying a second house 50 miles away so my daughter can go to a private school with advanced curriculum. We always thought we would support public schools and send her to them, but she wasn't challenged at all as a student there. She has to learn how to WORK her mind.

Currently knitting a Weasley sweater in Rowan Felted Tweed for a nephew, the pullover "Erica" in Noro Cash Iroha, and E.Zimm's "Pie are Square" shawl in possum laceweight.
MrsJSD is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-22-2007, 06:00 PM   #22
angel4ever

I love Jersey City, NJ
I was born & raised and still live in Jersey City, NJ. It's an urban city (although up until the early 1920's it wasn't).

People talk about JC as though it were the gum on their shoe. But I'll tell you something. I don't see myself leaving here anytime soon. My husband and I just bought a condo here a few months back. I like JC very much. I like that fact that JC for the most part is very diverse. I like the fact that if I choose not to drive, there is public transportation to just about every point in the city and we are a stone's throw away from NYC. I like the fact that if I want to go to McDonald's at 1 am, it's still open. Most people in JC are friendly, others are not so friendly. But hey, that's anywhere you go.

I understand your feelings about schools. However, I disagree with the "ghetto" comment. I attended both private & public and I attended pretty good schools in areas of JC considered "ghetto". My former alma mater has been ranked one of the top, if not the top high school in New Jersey and in the US for many years and it's located right in JC (McNair Academic High School). I will also mention that I am a teacher and I will say that school location has little to do with the actual education you receive.

Threesmom, you mentioned that your town has similar problems with that of an urban area. Those things will not go away by moving to a suburban town. They may be kept under wraps better because of money and politics, but they won't go away.

I know you are concerened about your children and their well being and as parent, you very well should be. I suggest that you and your husband both make an individual list of pros and cons of why you want to move out of NJ, compare the lists, and then make another list from what you both consider to be the most important reasons for leaving.
Whatever your decision, I wish you luck!
Old 07-22-2007, 06:17 PM   #23
Debbie
Working the Gusset

What do you like about where you live ?

Disney World !!!

I am DebbieKnits on Ravelery
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 08:30 PM   #24
zkimom
Working the Gusset

I love where I live. I live in upper Fairfield County, CT. The good parts are:

1. It's out in the country enough so that the kids are in the backyard catching frogs. We regularly have many wildlife visitors, some welcome and others, not as much.
2. In the summer we buy most of our food at a local organic farmstand.
3. We have a lovely local swimming hole that is the gathering place where you can catch up with people you don't see during the cold winter months.
4. There is a lot to do -- theatre, museums, historic sites, the beach, all very close by.
5. We are less than 2 hours drive to most of NYC (ok -- traffic is a bear most of the time, but the city is still very accessible and we can take a train if we don't want to drive in.)
6. We have all 4 seasons to celebrate and have learned to love them all.

The bad:

1. The cost of living here is ridiculous. If I had to sell my house and move, I don't know what I'd find in my own neighborhood that I could afford.
2. We have to drive EVERYWHERE! I hate that I can't walk many places. There are a few places I can walk but not many and there are no sidewalks.
3. We do not live in a diverse neighborhood.

Other than that I can't imagine living anywhere else. Ok, really, I'd move to Paris in a heartbeat but since that isn't likely to happen anytime soon, I'll just stay where I am :happydancing:

Best,
Susan

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 12:19 PM   #25
Sharly
Turning the Heel

DH and I grew up in our Capitol city and about 5 years ago moved to another county to a rural little town. We adore it. We still have to make the trek into work each day, but feel like we are returning to a resort when we come home to our little piece of heaven. Owning land is a great feeling, and we can be as much (or, as little) involved with our neighbors as we choose (our closest neighbors are cows :happydancing. We don't have children to consider, but this was definitely the right move for us. Of course, when we talk to people who were raised here, they want nothing more than to move away - however, seeing the crime rate rise in our former hometown just confirms we made the right move.

Good luck in making your decision!
Old 07-23-2007, 02:40 PM   #26
spectorkitty
1st Leg of the Journey

I live in Vermont!

I do love it, but it was a big change for me, moving from southern California to little tiny Vermont. It was like moving to a foreign country.

I don't live in a big town, like Burlington either so that was also hard getting used to. No 24 hour stores, no fast food, no Krispy Kremes! I drive to Burlington at least once a week to just get that "big city" fix I need.

But you can't beat the beauty. We drove around this weekend taking pictures and it was just awe inspiring. If I was at home I'd post some.

The people are great, everyone knows everyone, which can be bad because if you do anything, everyone knows about it!

I love it!

(except winter :rofling

spectorkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:25 PM   #27
threesmom
Turning the Heel

Wow - I didn't realize this thread got raised. Thanks all for your comments.

We've sort of decided to stay put - we made the lists, and as much as we would like it, there's a big pull to stay, family being a big part. We were contacted by a nursery up there, though, and if everything fell just so, we would always be open to it.

I realize I can't protect my children from everything no matter where we are. Do I want to limit their exposure to gangs and random violence? Yes. I know abuse, drugs, and everything else exist everywhere. I was only hoping by moving them to expose them to other things as well. I was hoping for schools that will challenge them. But I'll have to do that without taking them somewhere else - it might be harder, but we'll do what we can. And it's not a bad thing - it's making the best of what we have - and that might be the best thing for my kids to learn in the long run anyway.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Working on ... Central Park Hoodie, socks!, another baby blanket ...
Recent FOs ...baby blankets, v-neck sweater!, Nakiska headband, socks

I'm justbeth on

threesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:54 PM   #28
jodstr2
Instepping Out

best wishes to you, Beth, and your family.

on needles:
Noro Striped Scarf
Lacy Ribbed Socks
Monkey 8

jodstr2
jodstr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jodstr2 For This Useful Post:
threesmom (07-24-2007)