Old 08-07-2007, 05:33 PM   #1
redheadrachel
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to redheadrachel
Heavily edited: Which book should I get?
I edited this a lot because I basically changed what I wanted to ask:

I'm taking advantage of the KnitPicks book sale (I was surprised to see it's still going on). I don't have any knitting books currently, so I'm going to get Vogue Knitting and Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitting Workshop. I want to get another book, but I don't know what would be the bst choice. I was thinking One Skein or One Skein Wonders, but I'm actually now just thinking that I want to see what books do you guys find the most helpful? I think Vogue Knitting is a great knitting reference, and the Knitting Workshop is going to teach me how to customize/improvise - what else do I need? Thanks, everyone. I know I may post a lot of questions here and try to get lots of feedback, but I do try to give feedback and help as well. Sorry if I ask too much of you...

"An excellent woman, who can find? She is far more precious than jewels . . . She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." - Proverbs 31:10;13
I'm a knitter for Jesus!

Last edited by redheadrachel : 08-07-2007 at 06:36 PM.
redheadrachel is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-07-2007, 05:42 PM   #2
KT120
Ribbing the Cuff

I'm only going to say that I love my One Skein book. It was the first pattern book I bought and I love it to death. I've knitted a couple of the patterns and they are very easy and quick. I don't have the other book yet but as soon as I get to a bookstore I'm going to check it out and see if its worth a purchase.

On Deck: Beer Cozy, Ugg baby booties, Transformer wash cloth

FO: Obligatory first scarf, socks, knitted hat,Felted clutch from One Skein, Lily Bag,Irish hiking scarf, Felted Bowl from One Skein
KT120 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KT120 For This Useful Post:
redheadrachel (08-07-2007)
Old 08-07-2007, 06:37 PM   #3
marykz
Working the Gusset

This was to your pre- edited question: I have both- for breadth of projects I like one skein. (I think the projects in one skein are all pretty different from each other) for lots of hat/ scarf/ shawl and little projects, one skein wonders is great. some of the wonders patterns are a bit... repetitive- but I've made projects from both and treasure both.....

(oh- and EZ's books are delightful to read....)
to your edited question
To me, Debbie Bliss' books (How To Knit, etc) are SOOO helpful, with classic patterns.

Last edited by marykz : 08-07-2007 at 06:39 PM. Reason: the question changed! :)
marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marykz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2007, 06:41 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,642 Times in 7,044 Posts
Well, I have Knitting for Peace which is nice of you like to knit for charity, but there are SO many books on sale! One thing nice about KP is you can take a peek inside. Check out a bunch of them see what looks interesting to you.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2007, 06:42 PM   #5
redheadrachel
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
One thing nice about KP is you can take a peek inside. Check out a bunch of them see what looks interesting to you.
Hey I didn't even realize that - thanks!

"An excellent woman, who can find? She is far more precious than jewels . . . She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." - Proverbs 31:10;13
I'm a knitter for Jesus!
Old 08-07-2007, 06:47 PM   #6
Quiltlady
Working the Gusset

I have it too
I also have the "One Skein Wonders" book and I really like it. IT has MANY stylish projects in there to keep you happily knitting for a long time.
Quiltlady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quiltlady For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2007, 06:52 PM   #7
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

Well, I can tell you the ones that I just got from KP and love both of them, No Sheep for You..very informative and has great patterns. And Book 3, the color experience by Sally Melville...it's great, too.
Some that I've gotten recently that are also wonderful, Vogue Knitting's 25th Anniversary book; Mason Dixon; Lace Style; Wrap Style; Victorian Lace Today and am seriously thinking about getting Knitting Lingerie Style and Cables Untangled.
LOL, I guess I wasn't much help, huh?? I'm a book junkie!

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rebecca For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2007, 06:55 PM   #8
redheadrachel
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by rebecca View Post
And Book 3, the color experience by Sally Melville...it's great, too.!
You know, I was wondering about that one. I'm really really interested in incorporating fair isle work into my basic socks ans sweaters, and so I was wondering whether that book or the Vogue Knitting color one would provide me with some good fair isle patterns to spice up the basics. Maybe EZ's Knitting Workshop has that, though? I'm not sure...

And what about Knitting without Tears or the Stitch 'n B- book?

I'm a knitter for Jesus!
Old 08-07-2007, 10:59 PM   #9
redheadrachel
Working the Gusset

So...

if I'm getting EZ's Knitting Workshop, would a book like The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns (basic patterns for a variety of garments) be unnecessary? I'm not sure what all the Knitting Workshop has in it, if it's just sweaters, or has all kinds of garments...

Sorry!!!

I'm a knitter for Jesus!
Old 08-08-2007, 09:26 AM   #10
zkimom
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by redheadrachel View Post
So...

if I'm getting EZ's Knitting Workshop, would a book like The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns (basic patterns for a variety of garments) be unnecessary? I'm not sure what all the Knitting Workshop has in it, if it's just sweaters, or has all kinds of garments...

Sorry!!!
I don't have the EZ books yet (mine are on their way from KnitPicks sale also. Yippee!) but I have both the Knitter's Handy Book of Sweaters and the Handy Book of Patterns. What I like about those books is that you have the ability to really customize a garment using the formulas given in the books. I made my dd the cutest little cotton sweater using the formula for a drop sleeve sweater to which I added a little lace Peter Pan collar from another sweater and then a lace hem on the sleeves and bottom from another. I was able to do the whole thing by just figuring out my gauge and plugging in the numbers in the available charts.

I was also able to adjust a simple sweater pattern that I wasn't getting the right gauge for by using the charts in the book. I have used the sweater book so far more often than the pattern book but they are both great.

I also wanted to say that I like both the One Skein Wonders and the One Skein book and have used both often. I'd say choose either one and you have a winner.

Best,
Susan (who believes that one can never have enough yarn, knitting books or knitting magazines and has the stash to prove it!)

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote