Old 08-09-2007, 02:01 PM   #1
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,795 Times in 7,156 Posts
Environmentally Friendly Products
I think "saving the planet" is on a lot of peoples minds lately what with global warming, polluted oceans, etc being popular topics in the news. I'm starting this thread for you to share what environmentally friendly products you have used and how they work for you..good or bad.

To keep this topic easy to read for everyone I've got a few guidelines.
  • NO discussion about global warming, pollution, etc. This is a topic for products. Start another topic if you want to debate.
  • Make your product names only in bold black so when scanning this thread they are easy to find.
  • Please link to a product whenever possible and list retail stores that may sell them as well.
  • Review the products you have tried so we can get an idea of how well they work.
  • Try to keep your lists to products you have tested yourself or know of others that have used them.
Okay, I think that will keep this thread easy to read. I'm really looking forward to finding some new products.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
ADAllen (08-09-2007), Hsiaokuo62 (02-29-2012), jeanius80 (08-11-2007), losnana (08-09-2007), mulene (08-10-2007), Queen of Rust (09-07-2007)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-09-2007, 02:12 PM   #2
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

http://odoban.com/MenuEarthChoice.html

I use the shower control and I love it. Cleans hard water spots, soap scum and doesn't gas you out of the shower while you clean it. I bought mine at Home Depot and it's a little more pricey than other cleansers but I got tired of the fumes produced with such cleansers as Lysol bathroom and Tilex. I'll definitely look into their other cleaners. I hope they really are earth friendly and it's just not a marketing ploy though.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:39 PM   #3
cftwo
Working the Gusset

I use Seventh Generation laundry detergent. http://www.seventhgen.com/our_products/laundry.php It's working well (I have the lavender scent, but will try the free and clear if it's at my health food store next time I need it). Clothes are getting as clean as they were with All Free and Clear.
cftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 02:45 PM   #4
Riss
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Riss
We use Simple Green at the barn I work at. It is completely non-toxic, biodegradable, and environmentally safe. It's the only thing we can use to clean the horse's water bucked and feet tubs because it won't hurt them if it doesn't get washed out completely. And it smells good too.

You can get a gallon jug of it at your local Home Depot.. But I'm sure they have smaller sizes too.

http://consumer.simplegreen.com/cons_prod_fam.php
"Super green."
-The Fifth Element

Rissymur on Ravelry
Riss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:50 PM   #5
Julie
Instepping Out

The first thing that comes to mind is my daughters' lunchboxes from Laptop Lunches. We had started using waxed paper bags in lunches instead of plastic last year, but I was still really bothered by all the waste so we bought these. The amount of garbage generated in school lunch rooms is staggering.

It was funny -- the week of Earth Day they had "waste free lunch week" where everyone was encouraged to pack lunches that didn't generate any garbage -- and we didn't even have to think about it 'cause aside from paper napkins our lunches are waste-free
The Following User Says Thank You to Julie For This Useful Post:
fatoldladyinpjs (07-17-2011)
Old 08-09-2007, 05:29 PM   #6
syndactylus
Turning the Heel

I also love the Seventh Generation dishwashing soap (for handwashing), shower cleaner, toilet cleaner... basically everything they make is awesome.

All at trader joe's and whole foods too.

And my all-time favorite: meyer's lemon scrub stuff (only the ending is a real name, it's like a substitute for comet, only it smells good too). Also available at whole foods, and probably normal supermarkets too.
syndactylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:52 PM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,795 Times in 7,156 Posts
I forgot that we use canvas lunch bags from reusablebags.com. I've machine washed and drip dried them and other than some shrinkage they've been great!

I just love some of the bottles at the reusablebags.com site so I plan on getting a few of those, too.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:00 PM   #8
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
I use canvas totes for shopping bags.

Simple Green and some sort of all natural citrus cleaner the name of which escapes me at the moment.

I think riding a bicycle instead of driving a car is probably the single biggest thing I do that has any impact. Not a specific product, but a product class.

I do try to breath natural air as much as possible, but that can be kind of tough around these truckstops.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Last edited by Knitting_Guy : 08-10-2007 at 08:26 AM.
Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:06 AM   #9
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
I am a BIG fan of www.reusablebags.com. I buy from them all the time and when I give a gift I always include a reusable bag in the package if I remember.

I have used their Chico Bags and their Acme Bags. In the end, I would say the Chico bags are better. The Acme bags feel better when carrying them... the material is silkier... but the material has gotten runs in it where the Chico bags have not. The Acme bags are still perfectly useable so the runs are NOT a problem, but it just makes me believe the somewhat stiffer material of the Chico bag is stronger. It also is less expensive AND comes in GREAT colors. I plan on giving everybody at least one bag for Christmas this year, and may actually use them for wrapping instead of paper.
auburnchick (08-10-2007)
Old 08-10-2007, 01:16 AM   #10
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
Oh, I also use Seventh Generation products. I use their TP and their Paper Towels. I do rarely use paper towels in an effort to not add more stuff out into the world but when I do they work just fine. The TP has not been a huge change for me either.

I don't use the detergent products because I still have some to go through. I do want to try making my own laundry detergent though. I also got some dishsoap from Whole Foods that is refillable. I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head at the moment but I will edit this when I get home on Sunday (or Monday) to let you know.

I have switched to Ecover Fabric softener too. It smells delicious and my clothes feel just as soft as they do with the big name brand stuff. I am very pleased with this product!

I am also trying to switch many of my cleaning products to Vinegar and Baking soda. Works like a charm and no nasty allergens.

Oooh... and the COOLEST thing ever was using vinegar and baking soda to unclog a slow drain. Lemme tell ya... My bathroom sink was VERY slow. I read a tip to put baking soda down the drain, put white vinegar down after it, and close the drain for a minute or so. So I tried it. After you do that you are supposed to run hot water through it for a bit. Let me say that my drain has NEVER run so clear. I also plunged it a bit to see if I could get any residual stuff out and boy did I. So gross and yet I was just giddy with the results...lol.

Oh another thing you can do with all those dish clothes you like to knit... Use them at the end of your swiffer type mops. This will allow you to wash out the cloth when you are done and not add more of those cleaning clothes into the world.

must stop now cuz i am pretty sure I am not following Jan's rules for this thread...sorry.
auburnchick (08-10-2007)