Old 08-09-2007, 01:21 PM   #21
hunterjenn
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via MSN to hunterjenn Send a message via Yahoo to hunterjenn
Scrambled eggs? I dealt with some hypoglycemia as a teen/young adult. Protein was the best fix for me, though I still ate carbs. Everything in moderation, KWIM? But several small meals a day, and NO meal without a protein seemed to help me manage best. If I was feeling low, protein alone helped--cheese, eggs, nuts...those kinds of things.

I drink Nutrisweet constantly, with no problems. I think most of those nutrition scares are fairly dependent on your body and your dietary makeup. But certainly, I'd venture to say that pop with Nutrisweet is better for her than the straight sugar in regular pop!
*Isabella from Spring Knitty
*Striped hoodie from Nursery Knits
*Tomato from Knitting Daily
I'm hunterjenn on Ravelry. Come find me!

hunterjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hunterjenn For This Useful Post:
Ronda (08-09-2007)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-09-2007, 01:44 PM   #22
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Better no soda pop at all. There's other things in there besides sugar/nonsugar that aren't really good for a person. Like caffeine - it messes with blood sugars too.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:57 PM   #23
Vendie
2nd Sock, I Rock

Re: protein vs carbs for hypoglycemics...

Carbohydrates for the immediate fix - preferably glucose or fruit sugars. Orange juice usually works for me (I'm constantly getting sugar lows). Then, for the meal, make sure there is a good balance of carbs and protein, so that your blood sugar doesn't crash all over again. It's hard to manage this, though, b/c your body tends to really crave carbs during a sugar low.

This balance and the protein, especially, play a big role in keeping the sugar lows at bay. It might be beneficial to pay attention to her response to meals. If she's crashing within 2 hours of a meal, she's getting too many carbs. This tends to be my problem. I'm a bit of a carb addict, so it's a real struggle for me to make sure I get enough protein in my meals. Eating smaller meals more frequently helps, but that balance still needs to be there.

So overall, you do want to cut down the carbs (not eliminate) to prevent sugar lows, but to treat a low, you definitely need some healthy sugar.

I react badly to artificial sweeteners, so if I cut out pop/soda, it's water, juice, milk, etc., for me instead. There is some research out there that suggests that artificial sweeteners can lead to weight gain, as well, because the brain thinks it needs to compensate for the calories you're not getting by making you hungrier or more likely to consume more calories in your food.

It's only uphill until you get to the top of the hill

Vendie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vendie For This Useful Post:
Ronda (08-10-2007)
Old 08-10-2007, 12:55 AM   #24
debinoz
Turning the Heel

My 12 yo dd suffers from hypoglycemia and so do I. She mainly has problems mid morning while she's at school. I send those little juice boxes and packages of pb and crackers with her to school. If she starts to get shakey and dizzy they send her to the office so she can eat and drink. I usually eat half a pb sandwich. I also have problems with protein absorbtion and that's why I think the sandwich works better for me....
Ronda (08-10-2007)