Old 08-10-2007, 01:10 PM   #1
Lady Violet
Working the Gusset

Doctor Who KAL
Seriously, we all knew this was coming.

This is the place to share all your Doctor Who knitting. (I'm going to go out on a limb and say if you happen to crochet a dalek, that's okay, too! We'll still love you! ) With a pattern, without a pattern, inspired by the Doctor, just like the Doctor.... Basically, anything Whovian goes.

Here's a couple of pattern sites to get you started if you haven't started already:
Doctor Who Scarf
who_knits: Pattern List - This is a big one that I think has pretty much everything out there.

I'm looking forward to seeing lots (and I mean LOTS!) of pictures!

"Beautiful yarn speaks to the soul of a knitter." - Shandeh

"The Swatch is good. The Swatch is wise. Listen to the Swatch." - Sandi Wiseheart

Lady Violet is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-10-2007, 02:29 PM   #2
MarthaStarWarsFan
1st Leg of the Journey

I KNEW you'd do it, Lady Violet...!

I could sense a KAL in my future...

I'm in! Should be getting all my yarn in the next day or two from Ozeyarns and Yarn Source. I'll be knitting tons and tons and posting lots of pix...yarn pr0n is middle name...well, not really! Hehe!

Thanks for posting the links, btw.

Yours in Time and Space,

Martha
MarthaStarWarsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:10 PM   #3
Lady Violet
Working the Gusset

Martha, it had to be done!

at the moment i am more unemployed/flat broke than i have ever been. soooo, i have decided to use up my stash! i worked across the street from ac moore for two and a half years and went over there all the time. not good since i was just starting with my knitting and didn't really know the first thing about "nice" yarn. all i knew was that their red heart was always on sale, and it was cheap to begin with. you can imagine what happened. i learned to knit in october of some undisclosed year (i don't remember when it was right off the top of my head and i don't want to bother trying to figure it out) and decided i was going to knit afghans for everybody for christmas! i was waaay too optimistic for my own good. so now i have all this really cheap acrylic taking up space. i tried to start an irish hiking scarf once, but frogged it. after i started the first row of cables i discovered that i had somehow added some extra stitches. i was actually really glad because i hated knitting with that yarn all of a sudden. i think reading the forums spoiled me! last night i started my own personal time lord scarf inspired by the good Doctor. basically, i'm just knitting with one color until i feel it's time to change to another color. i'm loving it so far! i started it last night and somehow the magical combination of my KP options and what i'm actually knitting is totally overriding any previous feelings i had about this yarn! plus, the fact that i'm basically doing this for free doesn't hurt.

here's a picture of what i'm using.

most of it is red heart. the yellow is caron perfect match. the winter white is TLC essentials. the two smaller skeins my mom brought me from her storage closet. she's an art teacher. that strangely shaped blue "thing" is my gauge swatch. i was basically figuring out how wide i wanted it. i decided to go with 7" (a CO of 37sts). i tried ten rows of stockinette to see how it compared and definitely didn't like it as much as the garter. the garter just seems much more substantial, plus it didn't try to curl. here's a closeup.

*lost somewhere in the corridors of the TARDIS*

"The Swatch is good. The Swatch is wise. Listen to the Swatch." - Sandi Wiseheart

Old 08-10-2007, 04:54 PM   #4
Lady Violet
Working the Gusset

i've come to my first quandry. that didn't take long.
i'm following chris's suggestions for doing a color change. he says that this is how the lady who made the original scarf did it. i looked at the pictures of the orginal, and i can't see it. this is how it's looking in mine:

will the first three (green) stitches just kind of disappear once i knit the second row of burgundy?

Old 08-10-2007, 06:51 PM   #5
knitknut
1st Leg of the Journey

I've been wanting to make the season 12 scarf for my DH for quite some time. I'm definitely in! It seems like WOTA might be the best wool for economic reasons. What do y'all think?

LV - I don't know about that color change technique. I think I'll stick to the usual.
knitknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:58 PM   #6
Lady Violet
Working the Gusset

if you scroll down on this page, there's a list of colors in the Caron One Pound. they're not exact, but cheap and machine washable (although they are acrylic). when i can afford to make the season 12, i'll probably go with the brown sheep nature spun. for wool it's not that expensive at about $3.50 a skein.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:54 PM   #7
MarthaStarWarsFan
1st Leg of the Journey

I love it Lady Violet! "Scarf Inspired By The Doctor"!

Just knit away on one colour, then just up and switch when you feel like it to keep it fun...!

I love your yarn, btw...I finally finished my Irish Hiking Scarf, used on-sale Lion Wool in kind of an ugly dark blue...more of that stash I really needed to use.

Not sure about the colour change technique...I'll probably try it on mine and see what I think...garter stitch should be better than stockinette, I agree!

Hmm...my Jo Sharp yarn isn't in yet, boohoo! (just got off work)...better delve into the stash again!

Hey, knitknut, excellent choice for the wool! I think that should knit up very nice...and cozy warm.....maybe we'll all be finished up by the time it starts getting cold!

Martha
Old 08-10-2007, 08:24 PM   #8
stirsmommy
Turning the Heel

I so want this. Sadly it will have to wait until the Christmas projects are at least halfway done. So I doubt I will get to start my scarf until October. But it is on my list and better late than never right?!?!?
OTN: Wonderful Wallaby for dd(on hold)
Pigeldy done but needs to be seamed and felted
scarf
Thorne market bag
Clogs (to replace shawls)
Christmas Stocking
In line to be cast on:Clogs (2 more pair)
scarf for ds
cat scarf for ds#2
2 booga bags
stirsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:33 PM   #9
Lady Violet
Working the Gusset

stirsmommy, you have nothing to worry about. this KAL will be running indefinitely, even if i'm the only one keeping it alive!

Old 08-10-2007, 08:38 PM   #10
MarthaStarWarsFan
1st Leg of the Journey

stirsmommy...wow..what a great list of projects...!

I think that's the one thing keeping me from doing a bag...the lining...! EEek!

On another note...I wonder what needles I should use for the Scarf....size 6 is what I had been thinking of for dk yarn...on circular needles (knitted back and forth, not tube). wonder what length I should use...I guess 24" would be fine...decisions, decisions...

Martha

Edit...yay...! Finally found an DW avatar 100x100 pixels and small enough KB to use!