Old 08-13-2007, 10:00 AM   #1
msoebel
Turning the Heel

Our church was robbed this weekend.
Someone broke into our church and took a lot of money and other items on Friday night. They got into both safes (we have a preschool on premises as well, so we have a wall safe with a drop slot for after hours tuition payments). They broke into my hubby's office and went through all of his things...they found the key box and took a grand master key. They broke into the youth room and took two xboxes, a playstation, all the controllers, 50+ games, a dance revolution dance pad, and a digital camera. They caused some damage, but didn't vandalize the church, or take anything that would be horribly expensive to replace.

And as someone pointed out, "If it can be fixed with money, it's not really a problem."

Misty

Be a light unto the world...not a bug zapper.
msoebel is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-13-2007, 10:08 AM   #2
marykz
Working the Gusset

oh my gosh- that is awful. I hope the thief/ thieves will be caught. you both must be so shocked- hugs and prayers for you both...

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:22 AM   #3
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

I feel so sad when this happens and, I have to say, sad..a lot..at the fact churches can rarely leave their doors open these days. When I was a child you could walk into a church and just sit quietly, or pray, or seek solace or comfort or inspiration. Now most of the time the doors are locked unless there is a service of some sort. Many many church building are glorious simply in terms of design and architecture and it is such a shame so many children are losing the gift of appreciating these things.

A priest..monastic..was badly knifed in Sydney a week ago and he appears to come though surgery very well..thank God..and all he can express is his concern for his attacker. What wonderful, forgiving spirits some people have.
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:19 AM   #4
Kaydee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Kaydee
That's so horrible Misty! I am glad though that no one was there to get hurt.

Susan P., I totally agree, its such a shame that one can't just go to a church to sit/pray/have a moment/etc. because they need to lock their doors. I find it so sad that no one/nothing is safe from certain dangers that could be out there.
Kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:12 PM   #5
msoebel
Turning the Heel

Thank you all for your concern.

We were the 5th church in the last two weeks to be burglarized in our town...so it's not just us.

We don't know how we are going to recover everything...some things are not covered by our insurance, and the cost of rekeying the building is going to be quite expensive. Our church has been struggling as of late because of financial issues (due to a large number of state employees being laid off) and this certainly doesn't help anything.

But no one was hurt, the church remained for the most part unscathed (except for some damage done to the office doors while breaking in) and nothing taken was essential to ministry.

It's very frustrating, but not as bad as it could have been, so we wont' complain.

Misty

Be a light unto the world...not a bug zapper.
msoebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:20 PM   #6
Mariblue
Working the Gusset

That's terrible. But I'm glad that there wasn't horrible damage done to the building, and that no one was hurt.
Mariblue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mariblue For This Useful Post:
msoebel (08-14-2007)
Old 08-13-2007, 03:08 PM   #7
sinistral_needler
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to sinistral_needler
That is really rotten! I hear too many stories about churches being robbed or the office staff being hassled when no one else is around.

It will catch up to whomever did this eventually!

"Do whatever {Jesus} tells you to." ~ John 2:5
OTN: Nashua simple ribbed scarf, Seeded Cable Cardigan for Mom, washcloths, Rainy Day Scarf
OTH: baby bobble afghan, shells afghan
sinistral_needler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sinistral_needler For This Useful Post:
msoebel (08-14-2007)
Old 08-13-2007, 06:10 PM   #8
JoeE
1st Leg of the Journey

That's awful. Years ago the church I attended was robbed. They took our silver communion set which had been donated in memory of someone about 100 years earlier. It was very sad for us. I'm sure it was less valuable for the silver content than it was for the sentimental value for our church.

I can't get over the disbelief I have about someone stealing from God.
msoebel (08-14-2007)
Old 08-14-2007, 11:49 AM   #9
kahluakiggy
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via ICQ to kahluakiggy Send a message via AIM to kahluakiggy Send a message via MSN to kahluakiggy Send a message via Yahoo to kahluakiggy
Fortunately, the good people in most places far outnumber the bad - I bet with a couple of fundraisers, you'll be able to replace the stuff that insurance won't pretty easily. I hope everything works out for you!
Dark Mark Illusion Scarf, Emily's mittens for next year, an Aes Sedai shawl (Blue Ajah), a heart illusion scarf, a pair of booger toddler socks, and several dishcloths. Plus a granny square afghan on the hook.

I am Kahluakiggy on Ravelry and Craftster, too.
kahluakiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kahluakiggy For This Useful Post:
msoebel (08-14-2007)
Old 08-14-2007, 10:34 PM   #10
psammeadred
Working the Gusset

Stupid people stink. I hope the police catch whoever did that!

psammeadred is offline   Reply With Quote