Old 08-12-2007, 02:22 PM   #31
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Nat, if you don't have recycling there are things you can do to help that don't really cost money or much at all anyway. If you work take your lunch in something like tupperware so you don't have any trash waste. Use vinegar and baking soda for cleaning when you can, etc. Every little bit helps. You might also if you can send a letter or get all your earth friendly friends to send letters or approach a city council..not sure how your country works.
Thanks, Jan! I do actually take my lunch in a box . The problem is that Israel is lots of years behind on the recycling issue. People are like "oh, we have plastic bags - cool! Let's use them as much as possible!". When i mentioned that i'd prefer to get cloth diapers whenever i have a baby (i can get some on eBay), everyone looked at me like i dropped from the moon or something... Nobody can realize the mount of diapers each baby produces There is a "green" student society in my university, but the biggest thing they've achieved was that the cafeterias won't sell coffee in plastic cups. But I promise to try my best!
KnittingNat is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-12-2007, 02:37 PM   #32
debb
Knitting the Flap

Just came across this today

http://www.greenerchoices.org/

I subscribe to http://www.motherearthnews.com/

and they have a sister site with lots of info

http://www.motherearthliving.com/
debb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debb For This Useful Post:
KnittingNat (08-12-2007), stitchwitch (08-12-2007)
Old 08-12-2007, 05:25 PM   #33
zip

Something I began in February is the following, recommended by a friend and detailed at natureskills.com. So far, I'm only saving the grease in the freezer. When the weather turns, I'll mix up a batch.

Quote:
Make your own home-make suet cakes. I save all the bacon fat in a coffee can and when itís nearly full I melt it down and add corn meal, peanut butter, honey, and chopped fruit or nuts, then pour this in tuna cans, let harden in the refrigerator, and nail the can to a tree. Donít use seed in this mixture because birds that are attracted to suet are insect eaters, not seed eaters. Most commercial seed cakes have seed in it and the birds attracted to the suet drop the seed to the ground which eventually gets eaten by a ground eating birds so why bother? Home made suet mixture is very popular with lots of birds, but the squirrels love it too. Put one tuna can on the window sill platform just for the small birds and one out on the tree for the squirrels and woodpeckers.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:43 AM   #34
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
This thread is AWESOME, Janny!!

Re: the plastic bag issue, we use Seventh Generation (linked to several times above) garbage bags... they are biodegradable.

We also use Seventh Generation TP, napkins, dishwasher detergent & rinse agent, baby wipes (for DH... dont ask. ) , and several other things that I cant remember at the moment. We shop through Gaiam.com.

Does anyone know of any good eco/wildlife-friendly solution to algae growth in fountains/birdbaths?
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KellyK For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (08-13-2007)
Old 08-14-2007, 01:11 AM   #35
debb
Knitting the Flap

I don't have any product knowledge, but you might try www.realgoods.com, it's now a Gaiam company and they used to carry things like this.
debb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to debb For This Useful Post:
KellyK (08-14-2007)
Old 08-14-2007, 01:17 AM   #36
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,782 Times in 7,145 Posts
Originally Posted by KellyK View Post

Does anyone know of any good eco/wildlife-friendly solution to algae growth in fountains/birdbaths?
Hey look what I found! Maybe these will work?
http://faunasafe.com/detail.html
http://www.planetnatural.com/site/xdpy/kb/algae.html

I guess I have to try this Seventh Generation stuff since so many of you use it! Next time I go shopping for sure! I am also making note and bookmarking sites you've give me for all the products!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
KellyK (08-14-2007)
Old 08-14-2007, 02:33 AM   #37
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
Don't forget to go to Seventh Generation's website... They do have coupons on their site that you can download.
auburnchick (08-14-2007)
Old 08-14-2007, 08:10 AM   #38
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by KellyK View Post
This thread is AWESOME, Janny!!

I got some at Lowes or Home Depot. They can be used in fountains with fish. They're made by Jungle called Fountain Block. They're also made in the USA, something I've started looking for since all the Chinese junk has been coming out and recalled.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:30 AM   #39
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Have more natural shampoos and conditioners had a look in yet? Again, I do buy a commercial brand..sort of..from a health food store and it has none of the sodium elements and parabens etc.

This is one recipe for homemade shampoo. I would not use the oils and rubbing alcohol tho. I would simple boil up the herbs and add them that way:

http://www.happynews.com/living/hair...ke-shampoo.htm

Castile soap is mentioned in many many homemade shampoo recipes. Even if you think..nope..have to buy shampoo..these recipes are good for scented bath oils and then of course you would use essential oils perhaps. But I love the smell of steamed or lightly boiled lavender and chamomile.

To make good bath salts you can buy..gosh..what is the basic ingredient of say radox..gone clear out of my head..anyway..you buy that LOL and add fresh ground herbs to it and make it up into little dunkable sachets..cheese cloth or similar..and those are nice little gifts too. A friend once found these rather giant gel capsules..empty ones..and filled those. The gel simply melted away in the hot water and she used to throw a handful into the bath and it was dreamy.
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:11 AM   #40
Kaydee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Kaydee
My parents always buy Dr. Bronner's castile soap and its great because it can be used for a million different things. They get the pepermint one, and you can use as shampoo or even to brush your teeth! They also make the bottles out of recycled plastic.
Kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote