Old 08-17-2007, 11:16 AM   #11
Kaydee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Kaydee
I can just picture you sneaking around in your pj's....that must have been a sight

I have to say though, that it must be a little hard to get angry at a puppy that's so darn cute!
Kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-17-2007, 11:23 AM   #12
JessicaR
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to JessicaR Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaR
That's the only thing that saves our John. He has the cutest face and these heart melting eyes. He is SO NAUGHTY!!!
Old 08-17-2007, 11:26 AM   #13
misha rf

That is a funny story!!

We had a dog when I was a kid who'd get out of her pen. She was a beagle. She'd climb the tree in the pen. She got knocked up, so dad moved the fence so the tree was outside the pen (I'm told homes were found for all the pups.) So then she started climbing the fence. Got knocked up again (this was the early 70's--spay & neuter wasn't a common thing yet). We kept that pup (only 1 in the litter), & dad installed electric fencing. So, then she'd roll the pup up against the fence to see if the current was turned on! Mother of the year she was not. Dad ended up selling her to a couple of hunters.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:33 PM   #14
Luvmyrottnboy
Knitting the Flap

Oh my! That is hysterical! I know, believe me I know it wasn't funny at the time.

I have a 12 foot stockade fence and my boy doesn't dig BUT one time my mom left the gate open and Cyrus got out.

It was 4:00 AM and I never noticed the open gate...until a half hour later when I went out to get him in. My heart stopped. Like you, I was prowling the neighborhood in my PJ's. I was terrified! Cyrus is a Rottweiler and sometimes folks are funny about Rotts, he is a long coat and I am always paranoid about theft 'cause he is so unique looking. I was going to go back for my car when I had a brainstorm. There was a beautiful white cat that came to our yard to visit and play with Cyrus and the cat's owner was a sweet little girl who Cyrus adored. I walked to their house, called him and he bounded out of their yard.

Yes, I ALWAYS check the gate now!

Denise

Mom to the late Cyrus the Fluffweiler CGC forever in my heart and James the Alpha cat
Luvmyrottnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:37 PM   #15
Sharly
Turning the Heel

I'm so glad Cyrus only wanted to play with the kitty!! What a sweet boy.

I love Rotties, however, our neighbor has one, Raven, and he is so mean. I really can't stand it because I want to hug him so bad, and I can't even go in the fence unless he is put up in the house.

They are an older couple, and he is good protection, but I just couldn't stand to have a dog like him.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:16 PM   #16
Luvmyrottnboy
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Sharly View Post
I'm so glad Cyrus only wanted to play with the kitty!! What a sweet boy.

I love Rotties, however, our neighbor has one, Raven, and he is so mean. I really can't stand it because I want to hug him so bad, and I can't even go in the fence unless he is put up in the house.

They are an older couple, and he is good protection, but I just couldn't stand to have a dog like him.

I would NEVER allow my dog to decide who comes into my yard or into my house. That is is my decision not his.

Unfortunately a lot of folks think a dog like that is "good protection" but nothing could be further from the truth. Usually dogs like that are afraid for THEMSELVES, it is called fear aggression. They will react to anything, even if there is no threat. An accident waiting to happen.

Not to mention it gives many great, noble breeds a bad reputation.

Denise

Mom to the late Cyrus the Fluffweiler CGC forever in my heart and James the Alpha cat
Luvmyrottnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 03:19 PM   #17
Sharly
Turning the Heel

Denise, I agree with you on all points! I guess Raven is really a deterrent more than protection.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:56 PM   #18
Limey
Turning the Heel

I think it's absolutely disgraceful using a shock collar on any dog, let alone a small puppy like that.

If you can't think of any other method to train your dogs other than by cruelty, i.e. by inflicting pain, you shouldn't have them.

Get yourself on a training course or at least, read a book on animal training and welfare.

If you lived in the UK, you'd be reported to the RSPCA.
Limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:36 PM   #19
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Originally Posted by Limey View Post
I think it's absolutely disgraceful using a shock collar on any dog, let alone a small puppy like that.

If you can't think of any other method to train your dogs other than by cruelty, i.e. by inflicting pain, you shouldn't have them.

Get yourself on a training course or at least, read a book on animal training and welfare.

Umm...wow. What can I say. I'm a bit surprised at this comment. You are entitled to your opinion, of course, but before passing judgment on me, how about asking some questions first.

If you've ever read my posts here, you've seen how I question myself and my decisions. I care deeply for my pets (see this thread).

I researched my options very carefully and asked advice here. This was something I ordered for my middle dog -- only after we tried many other methods of containment first.

And, not that I have to justify myself to you, but the product has different levels for adjustment, from only beeping to level five, for larger dogs. I have it set low, and it beeps first, warning the dogs. They're not dumb. They learn after the first time. It's actually a very humane way to keep your animals within the boundaries that you set. The inhumane thing to do would be to allow them to get out and either get hurt or make them someone else's responsibility.

I've adopted all three of my dogs from animal shelters. They are the happiest-go-lucky dogs you'll ever meet. They know that they are loved. When you have children, you set boundaries for them. Sometimes you erect barriers. It's painful, but we do it because we love them. The same thing goes for my animals. I've had dogs all of my life. I don't adopt them to mistreat them. I'm not a stupid pet owner. I buy magazines, do research on the internet, and ask many people advice if I'm not sure about something. I drill my vets with questions. If I didn't want to be a good pet owner, why would I go through such efforts?

I'm sure that you're still going to feel the way you do, but I felt like I had to defend myself.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:35 AM   #20
KnittingNat
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by auburnchick View Post
Umm...wow. What can I say. I'm a bit surprised at this comment. You are entitled to your opinion, of course, but before passing judgment on me, how about asking some questions first.

If you've ever read my posts here, you've seen how I question myself and my decisions. I care deeply for my pets (see this thread).

I researched my options very carefully and asked advice here. This was something I ordered for my middle dog -- only after we tried many other methods of containment first.

And, not that I have to justify myself to you, but the product has different levels for adjustment, from only beeping to level five, for larger dogs. I have it set low, and it beeps first, warning the dogs. They're not dumb. They learn after the first time. It's actually a very humane way to keep your animals within the boundaries that you set. The inhumane thing to do would be to allow them to get out and either get hurt or make them someone else's responsibility.

I've adopted all three of my dogs from animal shelters. They are the happiest-go-lucky dogs you'll ever meet. They know that they are loved. When you have children, you set boundaries for them. Sometimes you erect barriers. It's painful, but we do it because we love them. The same thing goes for my animals. I've had dogs all of my life. I don't adopt them to mistreat them. I'm not a stupid pet owner. I buy magazines, do research on the internet, and ask many people advice if I'm not sure about something. I drill my vets with questions. If I didn't want to be a good pet owner, why would I go through such efforts?

I'm sure that you're still going to feel the way you do, but I felt like I had to defend myself.
I'm with you, auburnchick. I think that maybe Limey has misunderstood the way the collar works and hence the reaction .In Israel many mothers think that telling your children something is bad and they are not allowed to do it is bounding their freedom and ruining their childhood, that's why they grow up into what they are...
KnittingNat is offline   Reply With Quote