Old 08-01-2007, 06:42 PM   #11
Ladybug Lady
1st Leg of the Journey

The first official meeting of the group I organized at my church is this Sunday afternoon! I'm excited! About 4 or 5 of the ladies who've contacted me are crocheters! Pray that I find some patterns by Sunday!!! lolol

"I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has had to overcome while trying to succeed." ~ Booker T. Washington

WAGE PEACE!!

"Be the change that you want to see in the world." ~Mohandas Gandhi

"Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you." ~Jesus
Ladybug Lady is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-13-2007, 03:07 PM   #12
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

That's awesome that you are willing to tackle pulling a group together. Just my two cents

My mom's church started a group and their first few meetings where labelled learn to knit where old hat knitters where invited to help teach people to knit. Labelling it learn to knit kept people from feeling intimidated about joining. Needles and yarn to get started where donated from members of the church that could no longer knit b/c of poor eyesight or bad RA etc. They hold meetings just a couple times a month in the evenings for an hour or so.

My church has a group as well and they meet on a weekday in the middle of the day which I think is HORRIBLE. I work FT and cannot get off work to go knit (haha I can see explaining that one to my boss). It excludes younger knitters from participating. If it were an evening I would love to participate. Anyway, they mainly knit prayer shawls, they are given to people in the hosp and in need of prayers as well as new mothers which I think is wonderful as it can be used while breast feeding. I have worked in a nursing home and know everyone there loves Lapghans and they can be knit from donated squares or as a continuous project.

I personally am in the process of knitting 3 prayer shawls to go to friends battling cancer and other medical disorders.
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:53 PM   #13
Renoah
1st Leg of the Journey

Know what you mean about holding things in the middle of the day. My *ahem* aging congregation holds midweek Bible study at 1:30- too late for lunch, too early for anyone who's not retired (or working the graveyard shift). But dadgumit, that's when they've been holding it for probably two decades now, and anyone who can't make it just isn't trying hard enough.

Ladybug Lady, how did your meeting go?
Old 08-17-2007, 04:57 PM   #14
dolphie2
Ribbing the Cuff

I am thinking of starting up a knitting group from my church so this information has been really helpful. I hope your groups go well.

Thanks
Sandy in N.Z.

Charity Knitting for Life Evangelism International South Africa
Finished 2009: 4 Hats,
dolphie2 is offline   Reply With Quote