Old 08-22-2007, 05:01 PM   #1
iza
Turning the Heel

laptop-related neck pain
I started to work from home 2 months ago and I stare at a laptop all day long. I bought a new working chair to be more comfortable, but these days I have a lot of pain in my neck and my right shoulder. I am 99% sure it's because of my laptop and/or my desk. For the right shoulder, it could be because of the mouse I assume... my chair does have armrests though.

Anybody have any thoughts, suggestions or references? I think buying a new desk would help... but I would appreciate any other tips.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-22-2007, 05:08 PM   #2
JGM
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to JGM
Make sure you get up out of your chair and walk around for a few minutes every hour. You should also do some neck, shoulder and arm stretches.

I work on a laptop all day myself and that coupled with knitting tightens up my shoulders and arms a lot. If I didn't stretch constantly I'd be in a lot of pain.

-----BEGIN KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
KER++ Exp+(+) SPM+(+) Wood@ KPO++ !Pl Boye- Cas? Den> Bam> Syn- !Nov Cot>+ Wool+++ Hemp>+ Stash+(+) Scale+ Fin(+) ENT> FI+ Int+ Tex++ Lace> Felt+ Flat Circ++ DPN++ ML+>+ Swatch-@ KIP->+ Blog++ EZ->+ FO WIP GaugeF(DW, W) AltCr
------END KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK------
JGM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JGM For This Useful Post:
iza (08-27-2007)
Old 08-22-2007, 05:09 PM   #3
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
People with laptops tend to hunch over them. I agree with making sure you get up and stretch a lot.

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stiney For This Useful Post:
iza (08-27-2007)
Old 08-22-2007, 05:48 PM   #4
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
If you haven't already, get yourself an external full size keyboard and mouse. A trackball mouse may help some. An external monitor would help as you won't be looking down all the time as it will be more at eye level.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knitting_Guy For This Useful Post:
iza (08-27-2007)
Old 08-22-2007, 07:23 PM   #5
JGM
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to JGM
While you're at it, get yourself an external tower too.

Hehehe, just kidding. I'm in a goofy mood today. :-)

-----BEGIN KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
KER++ Exp+(+) SPM+(+) Wood@ KPO++ !Pl Boye- Cas? Den> Bam> Syn- !Nov Cot>+ Wool+++ Hemp>+ Stash+(+) Scale+ Fin(+) ENT> FI+ Int+ Tex++ Lace> Felt+ Flat Circ++ DPN++ ML+>+ Swatch-@ KIP->+ Blog++ EZ->+ FO WIP GaugeF(DW, W) AltCr
------END KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK------
JGM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JGM For This Useful Post:
iza (08-27-2007)
Old 08-22-2007, 07:41 PM   #6
Rorshach
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Rorshach Send a message via Yahoo to Rorshach
Going along with mason's comment, you should also look into getting basically an elevator, it basically allows your laptop to sit at eye level, and allows a keyboard and mouse to rest underneath it. another thing to do if you can afford to, is get a height adjustable chair.

Wisdom is knowing what to do. Skill is how to do it. Virtue is getting it done.

That which does not kill you, isn't trying hard enough.
Rorshach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rorshach For This Useful Post:
iza (08-27-2007)
Old 08-23-2007, 10:47 AM   #7
marykz
Working the Gusset

I have an external keyboard for my work laptop. it helps a LOT. I also have an adjustable chair, and I have put the laptop in a docking station to raise the screen up to a better height for me. (phone books would probably work just as well.) I have a trackball mouse I use plugged into the external keyboard that I LOVE. much less strain on the wrist. (but you do have to clean it once a month or so)

and stretching breaks are key.... it is worth getting the desk set up for the most comfort. you will be more productive! I bought a special desk at IKEA for my multiple computer/monitor situation- it has a platform at the back of the desk that my flat screen monitors are on. it raises them to a nice eye level for me. then the docking station and laptop are next to the platform. I don't use a pull out keyboard shelf, b/c I'm too tall and they make me feel like I'm typing on the floor, but I do have those gel "wrist rests" in front of the keyboard and trackball.

hope you find something that works for you!

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marykz For This Useful Post:
iza (08-27-2007)
Old 08-27-2007, 04:52 PM   #8
iza
Turning the Heel

Thank you all for your suggestions! I decided to follow what many of you suggested and I bought a keyboard and raised my screen, I think it will help.

I'm in a lot of pain however and had to go to the ER on Saturday! I was feeling numbness in my hand and it was a bit freaking me out. I had a car accident two months ago so I was starting to wonder if it was related. Anyways it seems to be only nerve irritation and I'm on anti-inflammatory medications now. I don't see any improvement yet, but the doctor said it would take a few days before I see a difference. We'll see. I can't take ibuprofen with Naproxen so that's probably why he also prescribed codeine. I didn't think I would need it, I avoid taking too much medication, but the pain is pretty bad today, so I might have to.

I never thought a laptop could cause that much damage. I feel very stupid for not being more careful.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:55 PM   #9
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
The nerve irritation could be from a combination of things. Like knitting, the computer, driving (which you aren't used to.) Not just anyone.

If your doctor prescribed an anti-inflammatory TAKE IT. It will help calm the area around the nerve damage and stop it from being inflamed. It will take a few days for this to be noticeable. But if you just meant you weren't taking the codeine (for the pain), then that is up to your discretion.

I hope you feel better, soon! (Wishing I hadn't left my anti-inflammatories and wrist braces at home, actually.)

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote