Old 08-29-2007, 07:08 PM   #1
raederle
Ribbing the Cuff

2 yo boy topdown cardigan pattern?
I'd like suggestions of tried-and-true patterns for a Fair Isle yoke on a toddler cardigan (getting sweaters over his head is a struggle, so I'll do a cardi instead, and he'll actually wear it, hopefully)

This is really for me, to practice fair isle technique. I probably should size it for a 3 yo to have it the right size for him to wear a few times when it's completed, conceivably winter after next, knowing me.

I got a bunch of yarn on sale, glorious sale. Sirdar Country Style DK, 174 yds/50 g acrylic/nylon/wool blend for washability, gauge on US 6 needles: 22 sts/28 rows per 4" square swatch (still need to do MY swatch) 8 skeins for the main body color, and 6 skeins of one color each for contrasting colors (I hope this is serious overkill.)

So, aside from doing Awesome Knitter-fu and creating your own patterns, what patterns have you used successfully for this type of project? I am willing to purchase a pattern if it comes highly recommended.

I have been toying with the idea of double stranding the main body or double knitting...any advice or warnings here I should note? What prompts this is the thought that the stranding in the Fair Isle will thicken the yoke, and I might want to balance that in the body...

Thanks in advance!
raederle is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!