Old 08-24-2007, 04:24 PM   #31
Gloriapike
Ribbing the Cuff

I'm one of those people who avoids taking medication if I can help it. I could probably walk into a doctor's office right now and get them to prescribe me all sorts of things... (including scary antidepressants and stuff) But I don't, because frankly I don't want to mess my body up any worse than it already is.

BTW, somebody mentioned that ad for a "cervical cancer vaccine"? If I'm thinking of the same commercial, this really BOTHERS me: That drug is a vaccine against an STD. However, the commercial makes it sound like ALL WOMEN are at risk and should be getting this vaccine. If you visit the website in the commercial, it DOES NOT tell you any of this. It says "ask your doctor if you need this". I feel that they are bordering on false advertising by not coming out and telling the consumers whose attention they are trying to get EXACTLY what this drug is for.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cer...accine/WO00120

Hmm.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-24-2007, 05:08 PM   #32
Jess_knit
1st Leg of the Journey

I could probably get into a debate about the ad, but I'll just say...I think it's a good idea for the company to get the word out there that such a vaccine exists, even if it's most effective for women who aren't yet sexually active, and haven't been exposed to the strains of HPV that the vaccine protects against. It's always a good idea to ask your doctor if you need a medication, but I think it's good to let women know that, for the first time, there is SOMETHING that can help protect against cervical cancer. I know I'll be getting the vaccine soon.

I also don't like to take medicine unless necessary. I tell people I have a cold, and they all say, "Oh, are you taking something for it?" I never take cold medication; I believe it'll run it's own course. I take Tylenol or Motrin if I need to, or antibiotics if I have to. My mom is a doctor, and she doesn't believe in over-prescribing. I tend to follow what she thinks.

Anyway...drug companies, same as any other, want people to use their products. Their ads reflect that. I try not to get too worked up over it.

On the needles: Mystery Stole 3 (Zephyr), Monkey Socks (Running Wild Yarn), Steelers Socks (KnitPicks Essential)
Jess_knit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jess_knit For This Useful Post:
hunterjenn (08-25-2007)
Old 08-24-2007, 09:45 PM   #33
zip

Originally Posted by Gloriapike View Post
BTW, somebody mentioned that ad for a "cervical cancer vaccine"? If I'm thinking of the same commercial, this really BOTHERS me: That drug is a vaccine against an STD. However, the commercial makes it sound like ALL WOMEN are at risk and should be getting this vaccine. If you visit the website in the commercial, it DOES NOT tell you any of this. It says "ask your doctor if you need this". I feel that they are bordering on false advertising by not coming out and telling the consumers whose attention they are trying to get EXACTLY what this drug is for.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cer...accine/WO00120

Hmm.
That's a very narrow view. That drug is a vaccine against precursors to cancer. If I had a daughter at the age recommended for this vaccine, I would absolutely want her to get it. It's a parent's responsibility to protect his or her children. Most young women will eventually become sexually active, if not now, then in a few years. Having sex with just one person qualifies as sexually active.

And I expect if your daughter were to become infected as a result of rape or because her cheating husband had passed it to her, you'd wish you had indeed had her vaccinated. Life happens, you know.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:00 AM   #34
Gloriapike
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by zip View Post
That's a very narrow view. That drug is a vaccine against precursors to cancer. If I had a daughter at the age recommended for this vaccine, I would absolutely want her to get it. It's a parent's responsibility to protect his or her children. Most young women will eventually become sexually active, if not now, then in a few years. Having sex with just one person qualifies as sexually active.

And I expect if your daughter were to become infected as a result of rape or because her cheating husband had passed it to her, you'd wish you had indeed had her vaccinated. Life happens, you know.
I understand that totally, I'm not saying it's a bad idea by any means, I just didn't like the way they seemed to be trying to market it. The fact that the website (at the time I looked it up originally) didn't contain a lot of important info was what bothered me.

Since it's a relatively NEW drug I'd nevertheless be quite nervous about them making it mandatory. There are reasons besides the moral arguments why some parents don't like to get all these vaccines for their kids. Contrary to what the proponents say, many vaccines do come with a degree of risk for an adverse reaction, and we don't really know what the large-scale, long-term effects of this drug are.

I think they should wait until the drug has had more time on the market before they go trying to make it mandatory. Make it a reccommended option, but let the parents choose.

That's just my opinion, though! : )
Old 08-25-2007, 11:26 AM   #35
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

That's kinda how I feel too.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:36 PM   #36
Vendie
2nd Sock, I Rock

I just want to say, both as a Mod and a pharma employee, thanks to everyone for keeping this "hot topic" discussion as civilized as it has been. When I first saw the thread, I was very worried about the content, but I'm not so much anymore. I really appreciate the level of discourse.

It's only uphill until you get to the top of the hill

Vendie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:11 AM   #37
msoebel
Turning the Heel

I have two quick (polite) things to say:

-One: I hate the commercials for drugs for STDs. They always show beautiful, active, young people in commited relationships.

Devastatingly handsome young man: "I have gonnorhea."
Beautiful willowy young woman: "And I don't. And we want to keep it that way."

It's so annoying. It's a DISEASE. Don't pretty it up. Don't try to send the message, "All the cool, beautiful athletic people with genital warts take this medicine!"

Also, I really dislike the ad for the vaccine for HPV. I just feel like it's misleading and not entirely informative. Before I inject my child with yet another vaccine, I want A LOT more information about it.

Things the commercial leaves out that I think should be included:

-HPV is a sexually transmitted disease. It's the ONLY way it can be transmitted.

-HPV is not the ONLY cause of cervical cancer.

-This vaccine is not effective against ALL strains of HPV.

I feel the commercial is mildly dishonest, or at the very best, misleading. I am not sure how I feel about my daughter getting this vaccine, but I find myself unable to trust the drug company behind it because of the marketing campaign-obivously directed at very young women (most of the "women" in the commercial are teen girls).

Just my .02.

Misty

Be a light unto the world...not a bug zapper.
msoebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:22 AM   #38
Kaydee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Kaydee
Originally Posted by msoebel View Post
Things the commercial leaves out that I think should be included:

-HPV is a sexually transmitted disease. It's the ONLY way it can be transmitted.

-HPV is not the ONLY cause of cervical cancer.

-This vaccine is not effective against ALL strains of HPV.

I feel the commercial is mildly dishonest, or at the very best, misleading. I am not sure how I feel about my daughter getting this vaccine, but I find myself unable to trust the drug company behind it because of the marketing campaign-obivously directed at very young women (most of the "women" in the commercial are teen girls).

Just my .02.

Misty
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the commercial mention that the vaccine doesn't protect against all types of cervical cancer.

I think the point of putting teens in the commercials is that the vaccine is for women under the age of 26, and they recommend getting it before the girl/women is sexually active so they can be protected. The statistics are that over 80% of sexually active people get HPV, thatís an astounding number! To me it seems better to get the vaccine before those girls become sexually active since chances are that sometime in the future they will be even if it is far down the road when they are married or whatever their situation.

I hope that doesnít sound argumentative because I donít want to come off that way. I just thought Iíd put my thoughts on it out there.
Kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote