Old 09-03-2007, 08:03 AM   #1
Annasta111
Ribbing the Cuff

Newbie sock question
Hi again all, Well I have finally stepped into the realm of the dreaded dpns!!! After getting over the fear of it looking like some sort of torture device and my husband cringing in his chair thinking someone is going to lose an eye, and pulling the WRONG dpn out of my hand about a zillion times.... I have the first 9 rows done... lol, severe accomplishment for me let me tell ya! The mantra of it's only a piece of yarn until the last stitch has been going through my head a zillion times Anyway, I have a question on my pattern so I turn to the experts

I got a book from the book store called "Lion Brand Yarn Just Socks" and my daughter picked out a beginner (wish they had lower then beginner patterns!) Well, row 10 states; "Knit across 22 stitches using waste yarn. You will be comming back later to 'unzip' these stitches and work the heel. After knitting waste yarn, return to beginning of round and knit across the placeholder stitches with B."

My question, does this mean you would use waste yarn as your main color type deal, then go back and get the real color your working with and knit like nothing is different??? (did that make sense?)

Second question;
Shaping Toe "Round 1 On needles 1, knit 1, slip slip knit, knit across. On needle 2, knit to last 3 stitches, knit 2stitches together, knit 1. On needle 3, knit 1, slip slip knit, knit across. On needle 4, knit to last 2 stitches, knit 2 together, knit 1"

Is slip slip, you slip those 2 onto right needle, knit then slip those 2 over knit stich and drop off?

Thanks for your help!!
Stacey
Annasta111 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-03-2007, 08:20 AM   #2
zkimom
Working the Gusset

The waste yarn is used at a stitch holder for the stitches you will use to make your heel. You only knit the one row with the waste yarn. When you get to the point of making your heel your will pull out the waste yarn and slip your needle through the live stitches that are left. To get an idea of what that looks like see Amy's video of a provisional cast on (scroll down a bit) here.

a slip slip knit is when you slip one stitch and then then next and then knit the 2 together. This is how it's done.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Susan

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zkimom For This Useful Post:
Annasta111 (09-03-2007)
Old 09-03-2007, 08:30 AM   #3
Miss Moosey
1st Leg of the Journey

And use a different color waste yarn! Sometimes I use the same color because it happens to be what's lying around and then I can't see where I put it in!
Annasta111 (09-03-2007)
Old 09-03-2007, 08:31 AM   #4
Annasta111
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by zkimom View Post
The waste yarn is used at a stitch holder for the stitches you will use to make your heel. You only knit the one row with the waste yarn. When you get to the point of making your heel your will pull out the waste yarn and slip your needle through the live stitches that are left. To get an idea of what that looks like see Amy's video of a provisional cast on (scroll down a bit) here.

a slip slip knit is when you slip one stitch and then then next and then knit the 2 together. This is how it's done.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Susan
Thank you wow I was WAY off on the slip slip knit!!!! Although I am still a little foggy on the waste yarn. It's not casting on, it's in the middle of the work, so would I use the scrap yarn to knit with instead of the color used, then go back and go over everything with main color like I'm still going around then once ready to do heel just pull out scrap? Sorry I know I am probably over thinking it all.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:32 AM   #5
Annasta111
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Miss Moosey View Post
And use a different color waste yarn! Sometimes I use the same color because it happens to be what's lying around and then I can't see where I put it in!
ROFL... yea I can understad that, thanks for the tip
Old 09-03-2007, 10:19 AM   #6
zkimom
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Annasta111 View Post
Thank you wow I was WAY off on the slip slip knit!!!! Although I am still a little foggy on the waste yarn. It's not casting on, it's in the middle of the work, so would I use the scrap yarn to knit with instead of the color used, then go back and go over everything with main color like I'm still going around then once ready to do heel just pull out scrap? Sorry I know I am probably over thinking it all.
Yes, you knit the few stitches with the waste yarn, cut it and continue with your B color. Once you are ready to make your heel you will take out the waste yarn and pick up your stitches for your heel. The waste yarn just holds your stitches so you can go back and add your heel. It will make more sense after you have done it the first time.

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zkimom For This Useful Post:
Annasta111 (09-03-2007)
Old 09-03-2007, 10:52 AM   #7
Annasta111
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank you so very much for your help!!! Cn not begin to tell you how much I appreciate it!!!!