Old 09-04-2007, 12:18 AM   #1
flipoid
Ribbing the Cuff

Have Pattern, Need Yarn
I have a pattern for a baby sweater from a book by Erika Knight called "Simple Knits for Cherished Babies." It's a Jaeger cashmere yarn that's 90% cashmere/10% polyamide that, according to the book, is "a 4 ply yarn that knits as a double knitting weight yarn." The recommended tension is 28 stitches and 36 rows to 4 inches using US 3 needles.

Since the book was published in 2001, I'm supposing that the company has discontinued the yarn. I don't have a yarn store nearby (closest is about 2 hours away) and I haven't been able to find it online. Any suggestions for either where I can find this yarn or a subsitute yarn (doesn't have to be cashmere blend) that would be suitable would be much appreciated! Thanks so much!

flipoid
flipoid is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-04-2007, 01:05 AM   #2
jeanius80
Instepping Out

i would think any dk weight yarn would work....i would use a nice soft wool blend, or cotton blend. HTH
jeanius80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:45 AM   #3
jillliv
Ribbing the Cuff

have a look on ebay - you can often find discontinued yarn on there.

Knitting for Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes

Jillxxx
jillliv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:08 AM   #4
Julie
Instepping Out

I just checked on Ravelry and here are some of the yarns that people have used to make that sweater:

Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino
Debbie Bliss Cotton Cashmere
RYC Cashsoft Baby DK
Dale of Noraway baby Ull (that one is soooo cute )
Blue Sky Alpacas Sport Weight
Rowan Wool Cotton
Sirdar Snuggly DK

Obviously there's a bit of variance as far as yarn weight goes...but with a baby pattern there's a little room for that, IMO.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:54 PM   #5
flipoid
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks!
Thanks for the suggestions; they will definitely help.

I did look on eBay for the Jaeger cashmere, but couldn't find any. Of course, they could call it by some catchy yarn name that I don't know about, but the book just calls it "Jaeger cashmere."

I want to do make this pattern because it's all in one piece and I won't have to seam sleeves into armholes. I am not ready to tackle that. I also want to get a kit (when I can get to a yarn store) for the famous tulip baby sweater because someone I met at a yarn store a couple of weeks ago was knitting it and she said that the sleeves are knit from stitches that have been placed on holders, not as separate pieces.

I have a large skein of a Bernat baby yarn (forget what they call it) that's dk weight (got it from Wal-mart--that's my "local yarn store!"); I might try this pattern with that just to see how well I can knit it.

Thanks again for your suggestions; I'm going to copy the suggested substitutions into a file and save it to look for some of those yarns to use.
flipoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:10 PM   #6
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
When I knit baby stuff, I always make sure it's machine washable. Who wants to hand wash baby stuff?

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote