Old 08-14-2007, 11:33 AM   #41
msoebel
Turning the Heel

Well, we have several bags that remain in our car now and we use those instead of plastic shopping bags. We bought them from Ikea for like 65 cents a piece and they hold an ENORMOUS amount of stuff!

We do not buy the individually packaged products...you know, those single serving snacks? Instead, we buy the larger bag, and give our dd her snacks in reusable storage containers (tupperware). We also do not use sandwich bags or ziploc bags for any reason...we use our tupperware.

These are two ways to be ecologically respsonsible without spending more money. We also own just one car and I either walk to work or my dh drops me off on his way to work. Dd goes to preschool in the same building as his office, so that makes it easy.

We recycle aluminum cans religiously, although it's very difficult to recycle anything else in our town. They have really made it a chore to do, so sometimes we get lazy and don't.

Misty

Be a light unto the world...not a bug zapper.
msoebel is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-18-2007, 08:50 PM   #42
cristina61
Knitting the Flap

Someone mentioned Simple Green earlier in this thread, and I wanted to let everyone know, this stuff makes a terrific ant killer for kitchen counters and other sensitive areas. It kills them pretty much on contact.

I've also used Avon's Skin-So-Soft bath oil spray to kill ants. Plus, if you can find the area where the ants are actually coming inside, you can spray SSS right around that area, and that's it for the ants -- they won't cross the stuff. It doesn't take a lot of the product to be effective. I really love it for this use.
cristina61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:02 PM   #43
Kaydee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Kaydee
I'm not sure if anyone's ever posted about this, but I found a pattern in Simple Knits with a Twist that uses pastic bags that you basically cut into long strips and tie the strips up together to use as "yarn" to make a tote bag. It looks pretty neat, and its a fun way to recycle and knit all in one!
Kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:56 PM   #44
letah75
Working the Gusset

a local product that is great, and can be bought online are Chico bags. They are wonderful, small, and reusable! I have them all over my car, attached to my purse, in the house, and use them for Christmas presents every year!

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson
letah75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:47 PM   #45
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,642 Times in 7,044 Posts
Hmph! I went to Target last night because I HAD to get laundry detergent. The only EF deterg they had was one for HE machines. (the name eludes me right now) Anyway I'll go to Home Depot or somewhere else next time.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:32 PM   #46
newamy
Working the Gusset

Sometimes High Efficiency detergent can go in both kinds of machines. In an HE machine it just takes less. I think the 7th generation liquid is like that. The opposspite is not generally true. We are still working on a big box of Arm and Hammer detergent that we had when we got the HE machine last October. I use 1 tsp full! too much and it will suds too much in the machine. Sometimes I add an extra rince to make sure all the detergent is getting rinsed from the machine.

I'm newamy on
newamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:47 PM   #47
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Does anyone make environmentally safe sm trash bags? I am sick of putting the scoopable cat litter in a bag and knowing it's not going to degrade for a million yrs..or whatever is.

I would like to be able to get them locally if possible.. Trader Joes, Whole Foods, etc. Thanks!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 09-05-2007, 08:46 PM   #48
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Hmph! I went to Target last night because I HAD to get laundry detergent. The only EF deterg they had was one for HE machines. (the name eludes me right now) Anyway I'll go to Home Depot or somewhere else next time.
I am totally planning on making my own once i get through this bottle that i already have. of course that doesn't mean that when the time comes i won't change my mind....lol.

I use Ecover fabric softener and LOVE it. The smell is delicious and the cost isn't that out of line compared to regular brands. So I may very well abandon my dreams of making my own detergent but we'll see
Old 09-05-2007, 11:56 PM   #49
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Yeah! I made it sticky!

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
ADAllen (09-06-2007), auburnchick (09-06-2007), JessicaR (09-09-2007)
Old 09-06-2007, 05:04 PM   #50
figaro
Working the Gusset

I just bought 3 bento boxes for my girls lunches!

figaro
and also on Plurk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

figaro is offline   Reply With Quote