View Poll Results: Which Brand Laptop Do You Prefer?
Dell 13 43.33%
HP 8 26.67%
Sony 3 10.00%
Toshiba 6 20.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-03-2007, 10:09 AM   #11
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,644 Times in 7,046 Posts
I have both a Dell desktop and laptop and most of my extended family also have Dell. I haven't had any problems and found their customer service to be prompt and friendly. I have heard of people who have had problems though.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (09-03-2007)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-03-2007, 10:34 AM   #12
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Originally Posted by iza View Post
When I was doing my Ph.D., the lab had a Toshiba and I think if I had the choice I would have gone with that. I think the design was a bit better, and it seemed to weigh less, which for me is a BIG thing since I'm only 95 pounds and have to drag this thing in public transportation. . Of course you can buy ultra light laptops but... they are extremely expensive.

I'm having a hard time deciding about the screen size. I think I want a bigger screen, but I read one review that mentioned how that laptop's weight (8.x lbs) wasn't something that a person would really carry around a lot. The whole purpose of my purchase is the portability factor. We are traveling quite a bit to soccer tournaments, and I've got to be able to get online and work on school stuff. But I really want the bigger screen.

::::::::::::::::::sigh:::::::::::::::::::::::

I'm only 5'3" and about 110 lbs. But I'm strong.

What to do...

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:56 AM   #13
iza
Turning the Heel

Just to give you an idea, my screen is a 15.4 inches (widescreen). I work on this laptop every day and it's big enough for me. I wouldn't want to go smaller though. Yes, 17 inches would be nicer that's true... but there's no way I could carry it.

I guess the best is to get a light computer with a small screen for portability, but have a docking station where you can plug an external monitor, as big as you like, if you regularly work at the same desk. But it's not an option for everyone, that's for sure.

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to iza For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (09-03-2007)
Old 09-03-2007, 06:45 PM   #14
misha rf

I have an HP laptop, and the Husband has a Compaq. I haven't had any issues with it, nor he with his. *knock wood* Well, except for internet issues, but those are from the ISP, not the computers. Mine is the widescreen, and it's a bit heavy, but I only lug it around the house. His is much lighter (not a widescreen).

We went with them b/c they were available at Best Buy, were on sale, and we could get the extended idiot warranty. Which came in handy when I dropped mine (about 8 inches) onto the floor and did something to part where the power cord plugs in. Granted, we had to send it in for repair, but it was fixed quickly. (We also had one repaired in the store when one of the cats jumped on the keyboard & pulled the "j" key off. Cats. ) I didn't want a Dell or a Gateway (one friend referred to his as "the gateway to hell"). I would have loved a Toughbook, but that's not in the budget.

Good luck making a decision!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (09-03-2007)
Old 09-04-2007, 09:19 AM   #15
Kaydee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Kaydee
I've always had Dell desktops, but this weekend I got an HP laptop and I really like it so far! I have a 15.4 inch screen which seems a little big to me since it makes the overall computer bigger, but its not too bad. The screen is really clear and it has good sound for the speakers it came with. Overall its a good laptop.
Kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kaydee For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (09-07-2007)
Old 09-04-2007, 02:53 PM   #16
Dangles
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Dangles Send a message via Yahoo to Dangles
I'd go with a Toshiba laptop. I've used both, and prefer the Toshiba over the Dell any day.

As for window size, you can get away with the 15.4" screen vs the 17" if you really want to use a bigger screen and have a desktop you can hook your laptop up to the monitor.

Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dangles For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (09-04-2007)
Old 09-07-2007, 01:24 AM   #17
Sandi
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via MSN to Sandi
Toshiba
I have a Toshiba that is going on 2 years. I have never had any problems with it. They have a great website. Check it out.
Mine is light weight, has a dvd player, lots of memory, I have more music on it than you can imagine. And great wireless to.
I have heard nothing but trouble from DELL, stay away from them!!!!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandi For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (09-07-2007)
Old 09-07-2007, 07:21 AM   #18
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Well, I closely examined all of the companies. I have had good experiences with Dell and HP. I have had my Dell for 5 1/2 years, and except for one fan burning out, it has worked well. I've only had to add more RAM. My kids have HP laptops, and I haven't had any problems thus far.

But, I actually wound up ordering an Apple Macbook Pro (you may have seen my other thread about this). It should arrive on Tuesday or Wednesday. I know I paid more than I would if I had purchased another brand, but I want a stable operating system, and I'm not so sure that Vista fits the bill right now.

Thanks for all of the feedback! Y'all are the best!

Old 09-07-2007, 02:15 PM   #19
Queen of Rust
Ribbing the Cuff

I'm currently on a Dell Inspiron laptop and I'm not a happy camper

I've had two major issues with faulty parts and both led to absurdly stressful customer service experienced.

I bought a Dell mainly because I heard that they had good customer service and were a reliable product. Well, I wasn't able to even get my laptop up and running for 2 months after I received it. The customer service is a joke. Usually after waiting 30 minutes to get a rep, I get barely trained so-called technical support people on the phone. They seem to make a practice out of hiring people with a mediocre grasp of English. I'm sorry, I'm Chinese and grew up in a largely immigrant neighbourhood. I usually have no problems understanding folks with accents but most of the service reps had accents so thick they were hard to decipher. Once I got a service rep whose English was so poor that I ended up having to speak at half speed just so he'd understand me. I used the term 'nonresponsive' and he asked me what that word meant!?!?!
For the most part, it seemed that the service reps were practically reading straight out of a manual.

Their customer/technical service dept is not connected to their Parts dept. So you're having to call the parts department seperately and wait another 30 minutes.

The email tech. support is lacking as well.

The second round of stress came one month after my warranty ran out It's like they planned it.
That fiasco took another 9 weeks to be resolved because they kept sending me the wrong part! Actually, someone in the Parts dept. had put the wrong model of that part in the wrong box and they kept sending ones from that mislabeled box.
When I got the wrong part the second time, the service rep I spoke to told me that I probably had another part I needed to replace. He told me this not because there was actually anything wrong with that part but because he didn't have any other answer for me. It wasn't until I demanded to speak to his supervisor that I managed to get somewhere.

I didn't get anything, not even an apology, for all the hell they put me through. I've written letters and in email and in hard copy and still no response. I've told everyone around me to stay away from Dell. Those that didn't heed my warnings, all found out the hard way what I already knew.

I'm never buying from Dell ever again!
Old 09-07-2007, 04:16 PM   #20
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Oh wow! I always point people to Dell because I've had such good experiences with them. Although I will say that at times, I have felt like I know more about the computer than some of the techs I've spoken with.

I think your experience was a bit out of the norm, but I can't blame you for vowing never to buy from them again. I would probably feel the same way.

Oh well...

My MS Office for Mac arrived today. It's kind of weird how they send the different parts of my order separately, but as long as I get it, I guess it doesn't matter. I just can't wait!!!!!