Old 09-10-2007, 02:21 AM   #21
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
Thank you so much, I've been looking for my next 'carry around' project. The scarf is lovely, you did a wonderful job!
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Debkcs For This Useful Post:
Slim (09-10-2007)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-10-2007, 05:51 AM   #22
GiddyKnitter
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to GiddyKnitter Send a message via Yahoo to GiddyKnitter
That is so lovely well done x

OTN's
Socks for ME!!
February Ladies Sweater x 3
Knitted Kitties

Leahfaith on Ravelry
GiddyKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GiddyKnitter For This Useful Post:
Slim (09-10-2007)
Old 09-10-2007, 06:51 AM   #23
GinnyG
Instepping Out

That is very nice!!!!
Old 09-10-2007, 07:31 AM   #24
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

My Goodness, your scarf is GORGEOUS!!! Thank you so very much for choosing to knit one of my designs, I'm truly honored! If you don't mind, I would love to add it to the Knitters Galleries that are on both my regular and design blogs. I set up these galleries because I feel it's the least I can do when a fellow knitter honors me by knitting one of my designs...showcase his/her FO!
FYI, the sock pattern is written and OTN, but I'm afraid socks for lonnie have to come 1st! When they are done this accessory ensemble will be complete and i hope to come up with another...never know!!!

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
Hi Slim,

I am going with this I-cord cast on...and, can you believe it the 3 stitch edges going up the side of the scarf!?

I looked and looked around on her website, and never did find any info about her I-cord cast on.

Also, I don't get that 3 st edging. Some of the rows just end with a slip stitch. Huh?

Well, any help you can toss my way will be greatly appreciated.

I gave up on the I-cord cast on and did a normal cast on with 5 rows seed bottom border...and then added a 5 st seed edging on each side of the 24 st repeat. I have 12 rows done.

It is nice, however, I really like the original version (your version) better.

Sigh.
Hey! I'll sure try to help you! 1st of all, there is an ICord Cast On tutorial on both blogs, too. There is a post so that you can enlarge the photos and a pdf. This tutorial takes you thru the cast on step by step with pics.
Now, for Ms Annie Modesitt's slip st edging (I call it her's because she is the 1st person I ever saw use it, I've since seen older patterns using it. Okay on the 1st and last 3 sts on every right side row you are to:
RS: k1, sl 1 wyif, k1 on each edge; in other words knit the 1st st, then bring the yarn forward as if you are about to purl, but you DON'T, while holding the working yarn in front of the needles slip (purlwise) the 2nd st onto the righthand needle (while holding the working yarn in front of the needles) then position the working yarn to the back to knit and knit the 3rd st; work next 24 sts in st pattern and repeat these same 3 sts on the last 3 sts. And do this on every right side row.
You are now ready for the next row (wrong side) and you are to do the same thing in that these 3 sts are to be worked on the 1st and last 3 sts in the row.
Okay, next we have:
WS: sl 1 wyif, k1, sl 1 wyif on each edge; in other words hold the working yarn in front of the needles as if you are about to purl the 1st st but DON'T, you slip (purlwise) the 1st st to the righthand needle while you are holding the yarn in front of the needles, then position the yarn to the back to knit and knit the 2nd stitch then position the yarn in front of the needles as if you were going to purl the 3rd stitch but DON'T, you slip (purlwise) the 3rd st onto the righthand needle while holding the working yarn in front of the needles; work the pattern over the next 24 sts and repeat these same 3 sts on the last 3 sts ...this is to be done on every wrong side row.
I hope you understand that...I'm in an excruciating amt of pain and have been up all night! LOL, if i just succeeding in confusing you then we will have to chat in a few days, okay?! LOL

Again, ya'll, I can't even begin to explain how honored and lucky I am that ya'll like my design. It's just as thrilling as it was the 1st time somebody said they liked one of my designs and I'm sure it will always be the same way! So...thank ya'll...a bunch!

Forgot to add, the icord cast on tutorial link is found in the sidebar on each blog!
Happy Knitting and God Bless!

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

Last edited by rebecca : 09-10-2007 at 07:33 AM. Reason: adding info
rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rebecca For This Useful Post:
Slim (09-10-2007)
Old 09-10-2007, 07:48 AM   #25
Slim
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
I gave up on the I-cord cast on and did a normal cast on with 5 rows seed bottom border...and then added a 5 st seed edging on each side of the 24 st repeat. I have 12 rows done.

It is nice, however, I really like the original version (your version) better.

Sigh.
Hi, Art Lady! Thanks for all your kind words! I really hope you persevere with the I-cord cast-on and the slip-stitch edging. It took me a few tries to get the cast-on; in fact it was the hardest thing about the scarf, but I love the way it turned out. I used the tutorial here: http://whimsicalknittingdesigns.blog...d-cast-on.html

And Rebecca's instructions for the slip-stitch edging earlier in this thread are great. Just trust the pattern and all will be well. I can't wait to see your interpretation of this scarf -- you do such beautiful work. Enjoy!
Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (09-11-2007), rebecca (09-10-2007)
Old 09-10-2007, 11:55 AM   #26
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

Oh My! Just reading what you said about the pattern and knitting it gives me the ibbity gibbities because there is nothing any nicer than having fellow knitters say such nice things about one of your designs!!!
LOL, thanks so much for clarifying my slip st edging instructions because, as I said, I was in a great deal of pain and going on no sleep, as I am now, LOL!
I'm also happy to see that you used the tutorial. When I was writing the pattern I looked all over the web for a tutorial with photos...nadda, so I decided to create that one and, as with patterns, it makes one feel very honored to know that fellow knitters are getting use from it.

Whimsical Knitting

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

Last edited by rebecca : 09-10-2007 at 11:59 AM. Reason: added info
Old 09-10-2007, 06:26 PM   #27
Slim
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by rebecca View Post
I was in a great deal of pain and going on no sleep, as I am now, LOL!
Rebecca, I'm so sorry to hear you're not feeling well! Whatever the problem is, I hope you're better soon. Thanks for sharing your lovely patterns, and for your careful instructions and tutorials. They make the knitting a pleasure.
Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:14 AM   #28
mks22300
Instepping Out

Send a message via MSN to mks22300
I've been eyeing that scarf pattern for awhile now, your's is just beautiful!!

I'm mks22300 at ravelry
mks22300 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mks22300 For This Useful Post:
Slim (09-11-2007)
Old 09-11-2007, 01:23 AM   #29
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Hi Slim! Hi Rebecca!

Thanks so much for the help! I saved all the info and will use it for my second Touch of Whimsy scarf!

I am too far along with my "Touch of Whimsy II" scarf now. I am using a green tweed yarn by Crystal Palace (Taos) , so the seed edging goes well with the yarn. Kinda earthy/botanical looking!

However, I will knit this scarf again using a solid color yarn like you did Slim. Maybe a solid Malabrigo yarn, or a yummy cashmere blend that my LYS carries in off white. I think the artistic appearance of the scarf definitely benefits by the I-cord cast on and Mrs. Modesitt's slip stitch edging when using a solid field of color. The simplicity of those two features (I-cord cast on and slip stitch edging) really allow the middle 24 st pattern to shine!

Here is a photo of my "Touch of Whimsy II". I had 4 repeats done this afternoon, and now I think I have 12 repeats done. Too much work accomplished to FROG. I will handwash and block it when I am done using a special Fibre Wash and rinse designed for natural fibers.

Here is a photo of the first 4 repeats that I had done by lunch today. It is earthy/botanical in appearance. The middle 24 st repeat remind me of vines and leaves. The seed stitch reminds me of earth and pebbles. The colors are botantical blends.

I am using a simple slip stitch at the very edge. I like it.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 02:03 AM   #30
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

Well, it is GORGEOUS!!! Absolutely GORGEOUS! Again, I say it over and over, but I am truly so very honored when ya'll choose to knit one of my designs, it's an indescribable feeling!
Now, I've a favor to ask of those of you who have knit it (or any of my designs for that matter!). If you don't mind, will you please share your FOs with everyone in the Knitters Gallery (and this chatty one) of fellow knitters' FOs of WKDesigns....I feel that this is the least that I can do, showcase your FOs, when you have been so kind as to have chosen to knit one of my designs. As a matter of fact, I have a gorgeous one to put in the galleries tomorrow, a delicious blue from Wendy....see:
EDIT (9-11)..my apologies for repeating myself about the Knitters Gallery! LOL, I'm afraid at times like these (increase in pain) I have a tendence to do such stupid things, LOL!

Whimsical Knitting

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

Last edited by rebecca : 09-11-2007 at 09:45 AM. Reason: added info