Old 09-26-2007, 02:02 PM   #1
Mimicathead
Casting On

Warm Up America
I have started knitting blocks for WUA. I bought some super save red heart yarn that I thought I would use to make afghans for my girls. They didn't like the feel of the yarn-not soft enough(can't blame them).

Is or has done this before?

Mimi B.
Mimicathead is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-26-2007, 03:37 PM   #2
debinoz
Turning the Heel

Is is the one they promoted last time on Knitty Gritty? I did that one last year. Sent them a dozen squares. I don't know what happened to them after that, but I got a nice thank you postcard about 4 months after I sent them in.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:44 PM   #3
kellyh57
Turning the Heel

I know all Michaels stores (in the US) take the squares too. They have to be 7x9 I think. Canada has another project that's very similar, but I can't recall what it's name is right now.

Kelly
Old 09-27-2007, 03:54 PM   #4
PammieJR
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to PammieJR
I WOULD NOT donate your Warm Up America squares through Michael's!!!

A couple years ago, my friends and I donated squares at our local Michael's. We discovered later they simply threw all their donations in the trash.

In listening to an older podcast of Cast On, there was a listener on there who found out the squares were sitting in a back room...her and her friend ended up taking them and sewing them together themselves.

I would donate directly!
Old 09-27-2007, 04:10 PM   #5
GennyLynn1962
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by PammieJR View Post
I WOULD NOT donate your Warm Up America squares through Michael's!!!

A couple years ago, my friends and I donated squares at our local Michael's. We discovered later they simply threw all their donations in the trash.

In listening to an older podcast of Cast On, there was a listener on there who found out the squares were sitting in a back room...her and her friend ended up taking them and sewing them together themselves.

I would donate directly!

Thanks for the info.

I knit some squares to take to Michael's but never dropped them off. I look at the donation basket when I go by there, usually there are several squares in it. But I always wondered if they actually made it to WUA. Next time I'm in there I might just question them about it.

I'm GennyLynn on Ravelry too!

OTN:
Baby blanket in hurdle stitch.
"Hey Teach" for me!
Christmas gifts: mostly kitchen towel sets, and fingerless gloves.
GennyLynn1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:50 PM   #6
suziehomemaker
Turning the Heel

I just got a random email from someone at our local Michael's asking for donations.

I like the idea of this charity but I have no idea how she got my email address. I think she may have joined one of our local online groups just to solicit to us. Ugh.

So is the main Warm Up America charity legit?

From the website, it looks like they are encouraging people to form groups to do the seaming work (for afghans) and to donate locally. What do you think?

Blog & Pictures: http://motherhenknits.blogspot.com/
suziehomemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:32 PM   #7
gmmarton
Turning the Heel

Warm Up America
The main WUA organization is very legitimate. My experience with them has been that they encourage knitters to donate their squares as finished products (i.e., lapghans, blankets or afghans) to local agencies, organizations or people in need. I participate in an after school knitting club, and our first year, we had the students knit rectangles for the purpose of making blankets to support WUA. After we wove our squares together, we were then encouraged to find someone in our area who would enjoy receiving our hand-knit blankets. This past year our blankets went to the local chapter of Project Linus, a very deserving group that donates blankets and quilts to children who have experienced some trauma in their lives.

I have actually dropped rectangles off at our local Michaels, but I wasn't impressed by what I saw. There didn't seem to be great organizing power behind weaving and sewing rectangles together for the purpose of creating a blanket.

Again, my experience has been that is always someone on the local level in need. You just have to find the appropriate agency or group that can facilitate that process for you.

Gail M. Marton
gmmarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:46 AM   #8
suziehomemaker
Turning the Heel

Gail - Sounds like a great plan. I just sent a note off to one of our local homeless shelters to see if they are in need of any hand-knit items and if anything specific was best (adults or kids? male or female?). I tend to knit up things without having a recipient in mind so this is would be perfect.

Blog & Pictures: http://motherhenknits.blogspot.com/
suziehomemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:13 AM   #9
craftn56
Casting On

Warm Up America.
I always knit or crochet and forward the items to an organization in New York. I reside in Louisiana, I tried donating the items in this state but I was turned down so now I happily send them to New Yor where I know the items are appreciated and used. The organization donates them to different places and I'm happy with that.

Have a great day,
craftn56
craftn56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #10
tangerine
Casting On

Hi! Does Warm Up America accept squares year-round or only during Jan-Mar?

I love making squares for WUA, it's a great way to practice my knitting! But I see now that it was a mistake to donate my squares to Michael's. From now on I will donate them directly to WUA.

Has WUA ever been contacted about the Michael's scam? That store has really gone downhill over the years, their yarn selections are anemic. I'm glad there's an AC Moore closer by me.
tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote