Old 09-28-2007, 04:46 AM   #1
Pandora
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to Pandora Send a message via MSN to Pandora
How Many Presents Are You Making This Holiday Season?
Two Christmases ago, my Grandmother presented me, my sister, my father, and my mother each with our own custom afghans in our respective favorite colors. I was so deeply touched at the time they must have taken her, and when I thanked her I said "I know what this means. I know how long they took. Yarn is love."

Ever since then, I've been determined to gift all my loved ones with yarn, and this year I'm taking the plunge. I'm currently working on a baby blanket for my expected cousin, which will be a little early (he's due in about three weeks!) But I've been trying to come up with other ideas, and these are the ones I'm throwing around:

Mom: snowflake ornaments for the tree (she was admiring them in my tatting book)
Dad: possibly the blue chenille blanket
Grandma and Aunt: slippers out of Homespun
My best friend: a Washington state purse (based off of the Washington state pattern in the dishcloths)
Her boyfriend: a Maine scarf (based off the same) or some Dr. Who knitting (he actually suggested it before I ever saw the KAL thread!)

Those are all the ideas I have so far. What are you guys going to work on? Maybe we'll give each other more ideas!
Pandora is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-28-2007, 07:14 AM   #2
merryknitter
Knitting the Flap

Lots To Knit!
I have 3 shawls on the needles, one for my friend, Mom, and sister. And a sweater for my grand daughter! I have been knitting like crazy...I do want to enjoy it. I'm making that Forest Canopy Shawl for my sister...one that I really need to pay attention to...LOL!

I just ordered some beautiful hand-dyed yarn for myself to make a shawl...maybe after Christmas!
www.woolgirl.com

Sounds like you have a good plan! I know what you mean about people truly appreciating it!

Happy Knitting!
Old 09-28-2007, 07:27 AM   #3
mrslevite
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm not sure exactly. I have finished a scarf for one daughter and started one for my youngest daughter. I'm thinking about making washcloth gift sets with a knitted washcloth and bottle of bodywash or a bar of soap for my mother and sister. Maybe a hat for my husband. Not sure what else.

But I'm having to pace myself. My elbow is hurting this morning. Not sure what's up with that.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrslevite For This Useful Post:
Kate in Gol (09-28-2007)
Old 09-28-2007, 09:03 AM   #4
marykz
Working the Gusset

I definitely need inspiration!!! I have a few ideas... for my daughter's teachers and assistants I'm making little washcloth/soap packages in decorated bags. (3 cloths done, soap bought, bags bought ready for decoration.)

my nephew is getting a scarf/hat combo out of wool-ease. (done) I think I'll make a more lacy scarf for my niece.

I want to make the cupcake tea cozy (from the whatcha knitting forum) for my tea loving friend. (bought the pattern yesterday!) and I was thinking of making the tea cup discloth and some crochet cupcakes.

I've been trying to make this scarf for my sister that uses short rows but I've ripped it out twice trying to master the "Wrap and turn." I know it isn't that hard, but, duh! She is not a girly girl type so I'm using that cool camo yarn from bernat.

I have a couple more friends I need inspriation for. then, I have to decide what to do for people that really don't get the hand-made gift love. That's a whole different post!!

I'm working on a crochet afghan for our bed as a gift for the hubby, but nothing else knit/crochet for him. he's not a sweater guy, never wears scarves, hats, gloves, and does not get the idea of hand made socks.

My Mom is a fabulous knitter, so I'm not going to attempt anything for her. but I will get a book and some yarn for her.

I have a cool book cover pattern for covering paperback books- it has a pretty cable on the front, maybe I'll try that for my book-obsessed friend....

and I have some doll clothes patterns for my daughter. (knit, and sewn) she also wants a Hello Kitty fleece blanket. (one of those easy no-sew ones) I have the fabric for it so I just have to get new blades for the rotary cutter and have at it.

So.... I'll be checking this thread for more fabulous ideas!

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:24 AM   #5
LilHuskiesFootBallMom
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to LilHuskiesFootBallMom Send a message via Yahoo to LilHuskiesFootBallMom
only a couple.... I simply don't have the time and i'll be working on gifts for next year come january (when i'd like to make more than a few people something)
Old 09-28-2007, 10:23 AM   #6
msoebel
Turning the Heel

Afghan for mother in law

Booga bags for my sister, 3 sisters in law and niece

Water bottle sling and matching cell phone cozy for mom

Possibly:
-fish scarf for dd
-or small booga bag for dd
-booga bag for my friend

The afghan is ALMOST done. Definitely done before weekend is over. My mom's water bottle cozy is half done. Taking wool and needles to Texas to knit booga bags like crazy over vacation.

Be a light unto the world...not a bug zapper.
msoebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:35 AM   #7
hortonx5
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to hortonx5
Making things for other people is so much fun. In fact, the only thing I ever made for myself was a scarf.

Currently I'm making a sweater for my youngest son using a pattern from the Lion Brand website. (http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/...ePullover.html) It's made from Homespun yarn. I'm about half-way finished, and it is so soft and yummy. My son's been rubbing the finished pieces on his skin.

When I'm finished, I'm going to make another sweater from the same pattern for my oldest son. Instead of for Christmas, though, I hope to have them both finished by the time cold weather comes (November).

My husband has expressed interest in a sweater. I've actually never made anything for him, so I hope to be able to do one before Christmas. And I'd like to make him a pair of warm socks (maybe even wool).

So much knitting, so little time!
Nicholas age 7, James age 3, and Robert (born 12/14/07)

on my needles: socks and a sweater

http://www.fencedinfamily.com/blog/
hortonx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:51 AM   #8
stirsmommy
Turning the Heel

Well let's see if I type it all A. I will be committed and B. I will probably need to be committed but let's give it a go.
3 shawls for the moms
Thorne market bag for sis
Damask bag for sil
2-3 pair of clogs for Dads
hat and scarf or a booga for neice
Sweater for ds
Sweater jacket for dd
Dragon scarf for ds

And then because several birthdays fall around the same time I have face cloths and pigeldy to do.

Yep I should definitely be committed.
OTN: Wonderful Wallaby for dd(on hold)
Pigeldy done but needs to be seamed and felted
scarf
Thorne market bag
Clogs (to replace shawls)
Christmas Stocking
In line to be cast on:Clogs (2 more pair)
scarf for ds
cat scarf for ds#2
2 booga bags
stirsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:00 PM   #9
HamaLee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to HamaLee
I hope to make 7 pairs of FT clogs If I don't make I'll sub in with other things, and then I also have to buy giftcards or somethign to go with the clogs to make the gift "real."

I'm also going to try and work in a sweater for my Nana because she'll love it, but I'm not putting myself on a deadline. She's getting a pair of the clogs, and I'm making her socks for her bday in November. So if I finish the sweater in time for Christmas, bonus. If not, I"ll work on it at a leisurely pace and save it til Mother's Day.

--->Clever Sayings Go Here<---

HamaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:58 PM   #10
debinoz
Turning the Heel

I have 22-23 people I usually get gifts for. I started out with good intentions, but we all know where that leads.....