Old 09-29-2007, 05:02 PM   #1
knitwit628
Knitting the Flap

Which cotton to use?
Ok, I know this question has been asked before, but I decided to make dishcloths for some relative's for Christmas, and I was wondering what cotton yarn to use?

I was thinking Sugar or Peaches'n Cream, but I have heard that sometimes the colors of the yarn bleeds. Is this true? Or would Lion Cotton or Cotton-ease be better choices? I want to use a yarn that won't bleed and won't look like crap after a couple washings.
Mother Bear- Seaming!
Check out My Blog
I am kssunflower on Ravelry.
knitwit628 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-29-2007, 05:10 PM   #2
DorothyDot
Knitting the Flap

Actually, my best success has come from... using cotton crochet thread, size 10 or so.

Knit on size 3 needles. And make it bigger than you think you should - this stuff does shrink after the first use or so. Then it's really stable and produces a just-the-right-roughness surface that is wonderful to use.

And they wear like iron... until you use it with something sharp.

Dot

PS - The cotton yarns seem too big and get too slippery-gloppy [I know, technical terms alert.] after a few uses. But so far, the ones I've made seem to be color-fast.

My words sell the Magic of a Dream

DorothyDot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DorothyDot For This Useful Post:
AnnaT (10-01-2007), knitwit628 (09-29-2007)
Old 09-29-2007, 05:33 PM   #3
knitwit628
Knitting the Flap

hmm I never thought about using crochet thread. I will take it into consideration though. Thanks!
Mother Bear- Seaming!
Check out My Blog
I am kssunflower on Ravelry.
knitwit628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 05:57 PM   #4
knitgal
Working the Gusset

I usually use Bernat Handicrafter Cotton because that's what's sold most frequently here. I did just buy a Peaches n' Cream, but I haven't used it yet. I like the Bernat, though. It's tough, and the colours don't bleed. Your dishcloth will fade though, since it's washed and used for washing all the time.

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitgal For This Useful Post:
knitwit628 (09-29-2007)
Old 09-29-2007, 06:53 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I've used both and either one would be fine. I made a summer top in one of the variegated dark colors and it didn't bleed, but faded a little. That was okay as it was just a bit too bright when new.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
knitwit628 (09-29-2007)
Old 09-29-2007, 11:16 PM   #6
mwhite
Instepping Out

I used the Lionbrand Cotton for a long time, was very happy with it and then came across several others... I wanted a little variety and sampled one made from both TLC Cotton Plus and Red Heart Casual Cotton. TLC Cotton Plus is a blend of 51% cotton and 49% acrylic, giving it the stability in color of acrylic(less bleeding and shrinkage) and the absorbancy of cotton. It is a medium weight and works better on size 8 needles or smaller. Love the texture and it works great for dish cloths and wash cloths.

The Red Heart Casual Cotton is a blend of 29% cotton, 10% polyester and 61% acrylic. It is a rougher, bulky weight with a decent amount of absorbancy, dries faster and keeps the cloth from souring, has great colors and variagation and the cotton keeps it soft. You can use larger needles which also means fewer stitches/rows and less time.

Nothing beats 100% cotton for absorbancy but these two are great alternatives. Hope this helps! Mary
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mwhite For This Useful Post:
knitwit628 (09-29-2007)
Old 09-29-2007, 11:59 PM   #7
Jen17
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by knitwit628 View Post
Ok, I know this question has been asked before, but I decided to make dishcloths for some relative's for Christmas, and I was wondering what cotton yarn to use?

I was thinking Sugar or Peaches'n Cream, but I have heard that sometimes the colors of the yarn bleeds. Is this true? Or would Lion Cotton or Cotton-ease be better choices? I want to use a yarn that won't bleed and won't look like crap after a couple washings.
Hi,
I just made one out of Reynolds Saucy Yarn, it is 100% cotton and comes in a lot of colors. It is washable, of course, and you just dry it flat. I haven't tried to put it in the dryer, lol! I have a feeling it will shrink, but it does knit up really nice!
I'm making a set for my dd in law and I'm just going to tell her to hang them up to dry!
Jen
Jen17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jen17 For This Useful Post:
knitwit628 (09-30-2007)
Old 09-30-2007, 08:43 AM   #8
bobi1218
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to bobi1218
I used some Sugar & Cream to make washclothes for my kids, and it fades horribly. They looked old after like 2 washings. I think I may switch to Lion Cotton and try that next.

bobi1218 on Ravelry
bobi1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bobi1218 For This Useful Post:
knitwit628 (09-30-2007)
Old 09-30-2007, 02:31 PM   #9
Songbirdy
Knitting the Flap

FYI, Bernat, Sugar & Cream, Patons, Lily... are all made in the same factory.

Kind of like at my husband's old job that would package brand name cream cheese at the same time as they packed no name cream cheese. From the same batch, just down two different packaging machines.

I'd often buy Lily or Sugar and Cream yarn seconds and realize that Bernat had a simlar version... just dyed differently because there would be cones of it in the seconds bin too. I just liked the Lily colours better.

Naturally, I do not work for the company and I'm sure this wouldn't be okay for me to say if I did. And I only mention the Cream Cheese because the hubby doesn't work there any more...
Songbirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Songbirdy For This Useful Post:
ArtLady1981 (10-03-2007), knitwit628 (09-30-2007)
Old 10-01-2007, 01:03 AM   #10
AnnaT
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by DorothyDot View Post
Actually, my best success has come from... using cotton crochet thread, size 10 or so.

Knit on size 3 needles. And make it bigger than you think you should - this stuff does shrink after the first use or so. Then it's really stable and produces a just-the-right-roughness surface that is wonderful to use.

And they wear like iron... until you use it with something sharp.

Dot

PS - The cotton yarns seem too big and get too slippery-gloppy [I know, technical terms alert.] after a few uses. But so far, the ones I've made seem to be color-fast.

I am glad to hear this about the cotton, and the tip to make it bigger. I bought some crochet cotton for bath mitts and was wondering if I did the right thing. This was the heaviest weight cotton I could buy locally.

I have a question, if you don't mind. The ball band gives a needle range of 3.5-5.5 (which is 4-9 US). I was going to use 3.5mm (size 4) dpns for the bath mitt and 4mm (size 6) for the washcloths. Do you think that will be okay? Thanks.
AnnaT is offline   Reply With Quote