Old 10-02-2007, 05:16 PM   #11
mrslevite
1st Leg of the Journey

Lately, for me it's been my bed. I need to get my feet up and the recliner just isn't comfortable - hurts my back and neck. Haven't even tried to knit in it. I used to knit and crochet in my big wooden rocker. But it's in the garage since my move. I need to rearrange the furniture in the living room to make room for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrslevite For This Useful Post:
DragonsChest (10-02-2007)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-02-2007, 05:25 PM   #12
Songbirdy
Knitting the Flap

We have a kind of hand-me down sofa (bought it off my parents).

It has a bucket type back? You know the arm and back are the same height but it does go up a bit more in the back.

Anyhow I sit tucked into the corner with 1 or 2 pillows propped behind my back. And pop my feet on a low stool or my sewing basket.

I used to work in a Nursing home and one of my many jobs was fitting wheel chairs for people.

Your lower back support is crucial. As is having your feet up enough. For the majority of us we want our legs to bend up and rest only lightly on the edge of the seat, then slope away from the sofa toward the floor. NOT a 90 degree angle. I am nearly 6 ft tall and find it much better to have a stool beneath my feet!

And last but most important and already mentioned... you must change positions! Every half hour is enough for most of us as we are not elderly and have a little or more than a little natural padding.

That being said... we've all got a natural comfortable position. There is no need to fight what makes you comfortable!
Songbirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Songbirdy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2007, 05:30 PM   #13
simplethings
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to simplethings
For a while I was knitting in a $10 'office' chair from Walmart. Had wheels, a small pad for the back, and no arm rests. I was very mobile and I had it for so long that the chair and my body comfortably conformed to each other, but, it was so old the seat cushion was worn away to the point where I could feel the screws that held the chair together poking me when I sat down. Not pleasant.

I recently bought a better office chair from Sam's Club... or maybe CostCo... but, it's a lot more cushion-y and it has arm rests which used to get in the way, but, now I just rest my elbows on them and knit. The whole chair also reclines (didn't know this at first, and screamed when I leaned back feeling like I was gonna fall ) which is also quite comfortable.

I spend most of my @ home knitting time in front of my computer. I've tried knitting in bed but that just makes me sleepy.

and i blog about it too: http://cashmereblend.blogspot.com

check me out on ravelry.com:
http://www.ravelry.com/people/simplethings
simplethings is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to simplethings For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2007, 05:32 PM   #14
LilHuskiesFootBallMom
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to LilHuskiesFootBallMom Send a message via Yahoo to LilHuskiesFootBallMom
my dh's ergonomically designed desk chair that i swiped, in bed with the pillows behind me, any comfy chair really.
The Following User Says Thank You to LilHuskiesFootBallMom For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2007, 05:38 PM   #15
DragonsChest
1st Leg of the Journey

This looks really cool, but I wonder if it would be comfortable. They say it is -- has anyone tried something like this? It's still more than I wanted to pay, but I love the design.

http://www.knittingsisters.com/cgi-b...der_Type1.html
FO: Smidges / Mystery Stole 3, Swan Lake / cardigan shell / Mini-Cable Socks / "Branching Out" scarf by Knitty / Beaded Cuff socks / Shrug / Skull Felted Bag (morphed into this from a Skull Scarf) / lots of socks
DragonsChest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:40 PM   #16
Quiltlady
Working the Gusset

clothes!!
I knit in my comfy chair in my living room. I have the tv on when I knit. Plus my feet up on my footstool.
Quiltlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:47 PM   #17
MamaMer
1st Leg of the Journey

Is it weird that my first thought when I read the title to this thread was "In my jammies!"

But since you all are naming chairs and such: I knit where ever my yarn is, but I prefer my big comfy leather couch--cool in the summer and warms to your body temp just right in the cooler weather!
MamaMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:54 PM   #18
mrslevite
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by MamaMer View Post
Is it weird that my first thought when I read the title to this thread was "In my jammies!"
LOL!!! I'm so glad I'm not alone!
Old 10-02-2007, 06:31 PM   #19
Indygirl

Originally Posted by Mulderknitter View Post
he he you made me snort.
Me too Mason
Old 10-02-2007, 07:18 PM   #20
Mulderknitter
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by DragonsChest View Post
This looks really cool, but I wonder if it would be comfortable. They say it is -- has anyone tried something like this? It's still more than I wanted to pay, but I love the design.

http://www.knittingsisters.com/cgi-b...der_Type1.html
I haven't tried, but it does look comfy. I like the foot rest, need that, and no arms to block the flying needles.
Oddball Pet Snuggles
I am Mulderknitter on Ravelry, add me to your friends!

My Blog
http://susanknitsandwrites.blogspot.com/
Add me to your faves and leave a comment, I love comments!
Mulderknitter is offline   Reply With Quote